What's the best after market Ram for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I need 16G. Don't want the cheapest. I want the most reputable. I would prefer to put the exact same ram in there that is currently in there from apple if that possible. I'm sure ram is ram just like hdmi cable is a hdmi cable but there is still quality differnces I'm sure. So what's the go to company for ram around here?

I am finding while editing with imovie the ram gets pretty low. I would rather just forget about it and max it out. one less thing to think about.

2. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Have you tried Crucial.com? :)

You will have to search for your model of Mac for the RAM to work properly. RAM isn't just RAM. There are many types for different machines.

Best of luck in your search.

PS, don't buy RAM from Apple - they charge insane amounts for it.

3. quagmire, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The 16 GB option from Apple is reasonable. Crucial was $174, OWC was $185, and Apple $180(edu discount).

But I also recommend crucial and OWC since you're upgrading RAM from an iMac you already own. Can't go wrong with either.

EDIT: Just saw the price if you order 16 GB independently of the computer from Apple. It's $400! :eek:

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've used Crucial in many Macs, never had a bad stick or issue with delivery. Comes with a lifetime warranty too.

6. porthole2 macrumors member

Have always been using crucial ram. I also use the Crucial's web app scanner to determine the correct ram and how much is available. E.g. Two open slots or need to replace what I have with larger chips.

7. Kayan macrumors 6502

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The only way you're going to add in the exact same RAM that is already installed is by getting it from Apple for ridiculously inflated (2.5 times) prices. The 16GB my iMac came with is Elpida, now owned by Micron. The 16GB I added later is Crucial, the consumer division of Micron.

I recently got my Crucial from Amazon for $134. It's gone up a little and is at $139 now. This is confirmed by Crucial techs on their forums to be the exact same part (although the model numbers differ) as the modules they sell directly on their site for the iMacs at $172.

I highly recommend it.

9. kds1 Suspended

kds1

RamJet. Have always used them, never anyone else. Good prices, and RAM that is guaranteed to be compatible. They are a quality company. I highly recommend them.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I recommend datamem.com, up in New Hampshire.

Never a problem with them.