Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
What's the best app for transferring pictures taken with my iPad to my Macbook Pro without using the cloud?

I'm pretty sure I can do it through iTunes but I'd rather do it via my wireless router or even bluetooth.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Why not just use iTunes and wifi synching?

But that being said, PhotoSync is better since it gives you many, many more choices of how to sync.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
The main reason I didn't want to use iTunes is that I don't think it's very secure.

I have pictures of documents and would like to keep them private and off the web/cloud etc.

I would have taken the pics with a digital camera (onto a flash card) but the iPad was so convenient and showed the images nice and large as I took them.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
If security is your concern then you should stay away from anything wireless as well and just connect the cable to your computer and copy them manually or use iTunes.
On a mac you can use iPhoto, ore image capture as well.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you think you're LAN is so compromised that you don't even trust iTunes synching, you're got really big problems that go a long way beyond photo transfer.

But VPrime is right; use a wire in that case. You really don't have a choice if you want to back up your iPad. And you should turn off wifi on that iPad; if your LAN is compromised and your iPad is linked to that LAN then you've got the same insecurity problems with the photos ON your iPad or on your computer.

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
Thanks guys. It's not that I think anything is compromised. My LAN is pretty robust. I just wanted the most secure way of getting the images from the iPad to the Mac.

I figured just syncing to iTunes would do it (and I've synced this iPad several times already using USB) but I'm not sure how secure iTunes actually is.

Like you said though, I really don't have a choice if I want to continue backing the iPad up to iTunes.

Just thought there might be a way I didn't think of.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Best wireless option is PhotoSync as has been mentioned. Works with either wifi or Bluetooth and has many options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.