Whats The BEST Apple-TV Like Device.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by avpmusic, Feb 23, 2009.

1. avpmusic macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 1tb hard drive off newegg, so i can rip all my movies on to it and watch it on my 360. I'm thinking about seling my 360 because i do not really use it for games, but mainly the streaming capabilities, and the netflix player.

i have not looked into the apple tv, but from what i hear, it dosnt support a whole lot of formats (Divx, Xvid ect) i'm told you can 'hack it' so it can play anything, but i dont know if i wanna go down that route.

the xbox thing is great, except some of the movies i already have, do not play well because of the compatibility of the videos.

can anybody recommend me a simple 'box' where i can STREAM the movies i have on my external hard drive (connected to my mac) to the player, but one where i can watch almost every video format available?

i want pretty much a media center, i use to run XBMC and it was great, but it looked really ugly and was big and bulky for my living room.

if anyone can help me out, i would REALLY appriciate it..
    playing music and looking at photo's would be a plus, but not necessary for my needs.

thanks you :)

2. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Have a look at the NMT Popcornhour, if you do not need the capability to rent videos from Netflix. The UI is not the prettiest in the world and sometimes this device could be a bit faster, but it works for almost every format out there.

For AppleTV there is a thing called boxee, i think it is XBMC for AppleTV, maybe have a look at it too.

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

Have you considered a Mac Mini? Put Plex or Boxee on it!