What's the best case material to disperse shock if dropped?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wp-admin, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wp-admin macrumors newbie

I've never used a case for any of my iPhones but I'm going to get one for my 6+. I'm curious about what's better at dispersing the shock of a drop? Hard case? Silicone case? case made of both?

I have put my 4s in a Quadlock case to mount on my bike and I was not happy to see it scratched the metal trim so I'm not really keen on hard cases at the moment. However, if they're better at preventing glass breakage, then that's what I'll do.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I can't speak to all materials, since there are too many. But the rule of thumb is that the squishier the material, the better it is at protecting your phone from drops. It will absorb the shock, as opposed to transferring it directly to the device as a plastic or metal case would. TPU is a cheap and popular option as it's pretty pliable but also holds its shape very well.

For ultimate protection, you'd probably want a layered case with silicone on the interior, and plastic on the exterior. The softer layer protects it from drops, while the harder one will protect it from pointy objects.