Whats the best .com hosting site?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Sep 17, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

What is the CHEAPEST web site hosting service that offers .com domains?

Thanks.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You don't have to purchase your domain from your host. In fact, if you're inexperienced I recommend against it. Some of the el-cheapo hosting companies that provide "Free domain registration with hosting!" actually retain ownership of the domain. In other words if you change hosts in the future you lose your domain.

I recommend registering your domain through a reputable reseller like Network Solutions or GoDaddy, then shop for your host.

I know you said you wanted cheap, just remember you get what you pay for. I have used both GoDaddy and IXWebHosting in the past when I needed an inexpensive host. Both were acceptable. I'm sure others will have more recommendations.

3. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I would stay as far away from 1and1.com A lot of people have had mixed feelings for them...

I use elief.com for my smaller sites, but as inexperienced, I would go with the Dark side as Darth said; Godaddy.com. Godaddy.com also has good customer support from what I hear.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Put me in the camp of "I do not care for 1and1".
    Me -> GoDaddy for domain "purchase" (rental, really) & BlueDomino for hosting.
    I'm quite happy with BlueDomino. All of 1 problem I've had on their end (PHP5 not running properly) took about 15 minutes from me emailing their tech support to their tech support fixing the issue and getting back to me.

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks guys, I just bought my domain from GoDaddy, and I WAS using x10hosting before, and I was excited that I could use my new domain with them, so thats what I did.

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have several domains and sites with 1and1, and they've been good to me -- not without problems, but good enough. They weren't high-traffic or commercial sites, though.

I put up a couple of sites via dot5hosting, and they've been OK too.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Haven't had any trouble with Pair Networks after years of horrible service from Verio.

9. triscuits macrumors newbie

I've been pleased with nearlyfreespeach.net. it's only about $9 to register, and they offer a wide range of service.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Rented a dedicated server from them, they not only charged me twice, they also took about 2 weeks to set it up. :mad:

12. creon macrumors 6502

I shopped around for support and price and found that GoDaddy.com actually was the best choice for me. Great price and they are responsive when you need them.

13. dcubed20 macrumors member

"What is the best hosting" and "What is the cheapest hosting" are not the same question, and have very different answers. With hosting, as in many things, you get exactly what you pay for.

14. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I use GoDaddy for my registrar needs and host free with x10hosting.com. I also have some free hosting at zymic.com as well.

The way I have mine setup is to use x10hosting's nameservers and either add a parked domain or add-on domain to my x10hosting account, then modify my MX records at x10 to point back to the email servers GoDaddy uses.

I prefer the stability of GoDaddy's mail servers and I use their forwarding primarily. I tried x10hosting's mail with forwarding, but it came back with spam bounces whereas GoDaddy works perfectly.

You can also do web forwarding to the free host, but I don't like the choices. You either forward to the host and people see the free hosting domain info or you mask the forwarding and then all people ever see in the address bar is www.yourdomain.com. That makes it hard to link to specific pages on your site.

15. olisones macrumors regular

geekstorage.com. The guys there have great prices and very good service - any issues I've had with my sites have always been sorted quickly. Plus it's all based around cPanel which is nice.

16. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thats what I did. :)

17. MTI macrumors 65816

A bit pricey.

18. dazed macrumors 6502a

Ive used aplus.net for years and have had no issues at all.

19. justinm macrumors member

I have LunarPages and have not had any issues with them in the year I have had them.