Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
Im in the market for a drone and am curious what Mac users think is the best drone under $1500 for aerial photography?

I'm more interested in stills than video (tho will take some fun vids for sure), am most interested in photographing nature, beaches/forests and landscapes, doing "abstract" art-style/90 degree top down aerials where everything is "flattened", maybe possibly shooting a whale or shark.

Am new to drone flying but I figure this sort of thing out pretty quick...which drone should I get?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
DJI is still the best for drones right now, which one is "best" probably depends on your need. There's the Mini 3 Pro if you want the smallest/lightest, and the Air 2S if you want something a bit bigger with better image quality. Of course where you're located matters a lot too, since the Mini 3 Pro is a sub 250g drone whereas the Air 2S isn't. In the US that's not much of a distinction, the only difference between them is the Air 2S has to be registered for $5.

Reactions: cthompson94

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The DJI Mini 3 Pro seems to be the go to option right now as it has a good camera, good flight time and weighs in under the threshold for needing licenses and insurance etc.

Reactions: arkitect

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
weighs in under the threshold for needing licenses and insurance etc

That's why it's important to know where they are planning on flying it. In the UK/EU/Canada the sub-250g threshold is huge and makes it vastly easier to fly. In the US it's more just bureaucratic, you pay $5 to the FAA and then your above-250g drone and your sub-250g drone have the same rules. The only real difference is you're required to have your registration number printed on the heavier drones. All other rules still apply to the sub-250g drones, you still can't fly over groups of people, you still can't fly in national parks or wilderness, still limited to 400ft, still need authorization to fly in controlled airspace (which is digital, automated, and really easy in the US), etc. So if you're not planning on flying in other countries, you may as well get the advantages of the heavier drone. If you do plan on flying outside the US, then go with the Mini!

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Agreed here, in the end all of the same rules still apply really. However, I am not sure if any of the heavier (non-mini) are available at that price point, maybe older models?

I ended up with the Mavic 3 and the only reason I went with it is because of the camera, first and foremost I am a photographer and I see this thing as strictly a means to get angles I never could otherwise. Have a look at my IG for some recent shots, I'm still new with it but the same rules apply to any photography, this is just another tool. I also got it licensed with the FAA, got the TRUST certificate and understand all the rules. Unless you're really out to sell or market this is all you'll need, it's only $5 and about a half hour of your time.

It's a few hundred more but absolutely worth it for the 3/4 Hasselblad sensor, I'm able to get a lot of really decent images from it. There's also rumor that they'll be releasing Mavic 3 "Classic" which is basically the same thing without the zoom lens (which is so poor quality I never really use anyway) for $700 less. It may be worth waiting out to see.

Reactions: arkitect

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Agreed here, in the end all of the same rules still apply really. However, I am not sure if any of the heavier (non-mini) are available at that price point, maybe older models?

I ended up with the Mavic 3 and the only reason I went with it is because of the camera, first and foremost I am a photographer and I see this thing as strictly a means to get angles I never could otherwise. Have a look at my IG for some recent shots, I'm still new with it but the same rules apply to any photography, this is just another tool. I also got it licensed with the FAA, got the TRUST certificate and understand all the rules. Unless you're really out to sell or market this is all you'll need, it's only $5 and about a half hour of your time.

It's a few hundred more but absolutely worth it for the 3/4 Hasselblad sensor, I'm able to get a lot of really decent images from it. There's also rumor that they'll be releasing Mavic 3 "Classic" which is basically the same thing without the zoom lens (which is so poor quality I never really use anyway) for $700 less. It may be worth waiting out to see.

I had another look at your feed. I love the images you make. Some of the angles are indeed impossible without the drone. I love the one of the building in the mist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.