What's the best FireWire 800 drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by juststranded, Oct 17, 2008.

1. juststranded macrumors regular

I'm looking for a FireWire 800 drive for backups and movies. At least 500GB, preferably 1TB. Obviously I'd like to keep the price down, but I'm willing to pay for a reliable drive. All I need is FireWire 800. FW400, USB, eSATA, and Ethernet and so on are all bonuses, but not needed.

Thanks!

2. AlwaysHopeful macrumors member

Just to piggy back on.....

I'd like a recommendation for a FW 800 drive that is 2TB.

Anyone have one out there. It is for home use so price whilst not the major factor does come into it eventually.

:)

3. cube macrumors G5

I prefer buying a good case and select precisely the drive which I view as the best for me, not getting whatever the external drive manufactured found the best for his business.

I liked the OWC cases (quad-interface for SATA, triple-interface for PATA), but I got the PATA and I found putting the screws to the drive just a bit tricky.

Then I needed a SATA and I wanted a quad, but didn't want to pay for international courier shipping, so I sourced a quad Macpower locally, and I like it better (the shielding, screws easy to fit). It seems very well made.

Last time, for the drive I went for a Samsung F1 (1TB) which is fast, power/thermally efficient and cheap. But they only give you 3 years warranty. Seagate gives you 5 and it's true I get a warmer feeling. Sometimes I buy from them, when I think it's the best model for me (the new 1.5 TB is a candidate for my next time soon).

4. cube macrumors G5

There are no 2TB drives. Those are arrays of 2 drives.

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I agree with Cube, get the components that are best, even if you have to pay a bit more. One thing I've learned - to my cost - is to make sure the controller or bridge of the enclosure is right for firewire, and that means an Oxford chipset. OWC sell enclosures with the Oxford component listed, and I'd recommend that you shop there http://eshop.macsales.com/, and look for the Mercury brand.

As for drive brand, my preference has long been for the Hitachi, but others have different preferences. Seagate is a reputable brand also, I'm not familiar with the Samsung.