Whats the best format???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by USMC-COMCAM, Dec 27, 2007.

1. USMC-COMCAM macrumors newbie

USMC-COMCAM

I'm an AVID baby and have just begun using FCP-
    I need some help from a seasoned vet on what format is the best choice (frame rate-size-kHz..ect) for import into FCP. I am editing a "moto" video and am pulling clips from the web and other Military servers-exporting them as quick time or Mpeg..(big mistake-no audio in timeline) then importing them into FCP. Problem is only 9 of my 43 ATTEMPTED imports were recognized.
    Any help on the specifics for export from Squeeze to import in FCP would be helpful..
    Oh-I don't have Quick Time Pro...the military didn't deam it appropriate for editing..ha:(
    THANKS-

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If you have FCP installed, you also have QT Pro. On FCP versions before 5.0 you had to manually enter the QT Pro serial number (provided with FCP) to unlock the Pro features of QT Player. With version since FCP 5.0, the FCP install automatically unlocks the Pro features.

As for your main question, any format/codec that is included in FCP's Easy Setups will work - although it's a good idea to convert any imported files so they match your FCP Sequence settings prior to importing into your FCP project.

Depending on the file format and codec you have, there may be different ways to best convert. For example, for most muxed MPEG files, MPEG Streamclip would be my tool of choice for demuxing and converting into an editable format.

-DH

3. USMC-COMCAM thread starter macrumors newbie

USMC-COMCAM

Thanks!

Thank you for your help. I am trying to get quicktime pro on this system but there are some issues with installation...
    Thanks for the help though!
    Happy New Year