What's the best free app for recording computer internal sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oxband, Jun 24, 2019.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I checked the archives and amazing didn't see a convo on this topic. Please point me the way if I'm wrong!

I want to record internal sound on my Mac, specifically the sound streaming off of a couple websites that have audio of poets reading poems. How can I do that? I know of Audio Hijack. Is there anything free that works well?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I use SoundFlower. This basically adds new input & output sources to your audio in system preferences. Set input and output for SoundFlower, then record the audio through something free like Audacity. You won’t hear it through the speakers while it’s recording as the output is for SF but you’ll see the waveforms so you’ll know it’s working.

It’s a few hoops but works. :)

3. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

Audio Hijack does that very well, and will let you do it for free for clips shorter than 10 minutes. Piezo, from the same company, will do the same with even less complexity. Both might ask you to install a helper tool in order to enable access that audio stream in your system. I don’t think I’ve beaten those tools for my personal use, but I’ve heard Soundflower is something akin.

4. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

How about using QuickTime which you should already have on your Mac?

5. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick time picks up sound coming out my speakers but not internally. So, not the worst but not the best.

I have high end recording gear and have thought to maybe record my speakers that way. I downloaded Soundflower but it doesnt seem to be working on my computer running Mojave, and looking at Internet comments, I'm not the only one with that problem.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

Might want to search for iShowU Audio Capture used in combination with Audacity. I have used it for a couple years. It replaces Soundflower. You can hear what you are recording.

7. mactofan macrumors newbie

mactofan

How about screen recorder robot? You can download Screen Recorder Robot Lite (free) from Mac App Store.

8. yellow8 macrumors member

yellow8

Confirmed, QuickTime does the job !

9. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

QuickTime does not and cannot record internal audio without modification. @yellow8 and @chscag. It only records from a microphone. I would recommend using SoundFlower.