Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

COFFEE&MAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Hi Guys,

I briefly popped into an Apple Store yesterday on the hunt for a made for iPhone (MFI) controller. The friendly team pointed me towards the SteelSeries Stratus XL which looks a lot like an Xbox One controller: http://www.slinkystudio.info/reviews/steelseries-stratus-xl-controller-review

After researching various controllers online, I think they might be right. But I wanted to ask here just in case someone comes up with a better/similar full sized option. At possibly a lower price than the SteelSeries Stratus XL, which is $70?

Last edited:

Shredder96

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
If you're jailbroken you can use a PS3 or ps4 controller which you can get for pretty cheap. I personally use a steelseries stratus and like that but those are the best full size options imo

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
For an iPad mini or Air, I'd wait for the Gamevice to come out.

For iPhones, I'd suggest one that actually has a holder for the device. I know that was a major deciding factor when I bought the Mad Catz CTRLI

tsevince

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
I'm curious as to what games are supported for the game controllers nowadays that merit worth buying an external controller for?

Shredder96

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
I'm curious as to what games are supported for the game controllers nowadays that merit worth buying an external controller for?

Modern combat 5 has support now, I like to use it on emulators mostly. Mine craft is getting mfi compatibility soon- but you can just google mfi compatible iOS games and find a big list

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013

Some games, like Oddworld: Streanger's Wrath, more or less require it. Then there are games that are just highly annoying without them, like Ducktales Remastered. Then you have games that don't really require them, but benefit from them, like Chronology.

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I posted on another thread, but here it is:

I had the SteelSeries XL and it has pressure sensitive analog and digital buttons.

The problem is, most games that support MFI controller do not support this. Example: in Modern Combat, moving the left and right analog stick moves your character too fast, while in World of Tank, your tank rotates very slowly. This made the whole game experience very painful.

But for top down shooter like Space Marshall where pressure sensitive buttons are not needed, it'll work just fine.

Not that there is no way currently to see which games support the controller, since iTunes does not specify that.

So the MFI Game controller, for now, is just a gimmick to me. Not very pleasant to use, hard to find games that supports it and way too expensive (there was an article about the cost, Google it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.