Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
for under $100?

i would like to use it to listen to music from my iphone on the go and when i am also at home from my computer.

thanks in advance.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
It's all subjective really, best to a/b test a few headsets, try a proper hifi store they will let you demo then look online for better prices. Grado Sr80i can be had for 99USD on amazon and get a good write up on what hifi http://www.whathifi.com/review/grado-sr80i

Also sennheiser hd518 are 127usd but also sound fantastic

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
You should probably specify whether you're looking for in-ear or on-ear headphones, and perhaps a few more details about your uses of them.

If you can stretch your budget a little further (I've heard of people picking them up for $100 a while ago) I would also like to add the Audio Technica ATH-M50 into the mix. They seem to get consistently great reviews everywhere, and having recently picked up a pair myself I can't find any reason to argue with them! If you're looking for a great pair of full-size headphones I would recommend them every time. A few people use them out and about, but personally I stick to in-ear headphones for that.

On the other hand if you're looking for a bargain pair of in-ears, I really love the Sennheiser cx300-II. For $25 I think they're amazing.

----------

It's all subjective really, best to a/b test a few headsets, try a proper hifi store they will let you demo then look online for better prices. Grado Sr80i can be had for 99USD on amazon and get a good write up on what hifi http://www.whathifi.com/review/grado-sr80i

Also sennheiser hd518 are 127usd but also sound fantastic

Grado Sr80i seem like they would be a great option for your needs. Personally I wouldn't take them anywhere in public though because their open-backs mean everyone else is listening to your music too!

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Klipsch S4 (or S4i if using with a phone) are quite nice. I have used them for over a year. My wife has been using them even longer, as I recently upgraded to the UE Triple.Fi 10, which are awesome.

If you want to see lots of info/debate/etc., visit Head-Fi Forums, it's one of my most frequented sites besides MR.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
There is no such thing as the "best" headphones :D

For me, the main factor is where your going to be wearing them. On a plane, I don't think anything beats Bose for noise cancelling but they get slated for pure audio quality if your listening in a quiet room. I find wearing over head cans really uncomfortable out and about and much prefer in ear, but again sitting at home they often don't deliver on sound quality.

I'd suggest you need 2/3 different pairs for different environments, none of which have to cost the earth, but I'm still to be convinced there is a single set that works well everywhere.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
thanks for all the replies. i'll consider them. what i am looking for i guess are headphones (over-the-ear ones) that i can use in public, too. i guess, i can stretch my budget a little if needed but can't be too extravagant.

i have gone to apple and best buy and have tried their in-store demos. and i think this is probably what i will do since i need to try them on first. but i just thought to check here if anyone else has a recommendation for a particular kind.

thanks.

----------

If you can stretch your budget a little further (I've heard of people picking them up for $100 a while ago) I would also like to add the Audio Technica ATH-M50 into the mix.

On the other hand if you're looking for a bargain pair of in-ears, I really love the Sennheiser cx300-II. For $25 I think they're amazing.

that is what i am swaying to in regards to over-the-ear headphones. but, now, i am not so sure, if i should invest also in a good in-the-ear phone like the sennheiser cx300 for going out and about....

decisions, decisions....

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
If you can stretch your budget a little further (I've heard of people picking them up for $100 a while ago) I would also like to add the Audio Technica ATH-M50 into the mix.

----------

I've had this IEM....for me, who likes a bit of a 'bassy' IEM, it is OK. But compared to the Klipsch S4, the CX-300 was very muddy bass (uncontrolled, undefined/not very 'tight' bass). YMMV.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 looks very interesting (checked it out on Head-Fi and Amazon). May have to get them. I've had the AKG 701s for quite some time, but they are an open style, and not really into that as much anymore.

thanks for all the replies. i'll consider them. what i am looking for i guess are headphones (over-the-ear ones) that i can use in public, too. i guess, i can stretch my budget a little if needed but can't be too extravagant.

i have gone to apple and best buy and have tried their in-store demos. and i think this is probably what i will do since i need to try them on first.
----------
that is what i am swaying to in regards to over-the-ear headphones. but, now, i am not so sure, if i should invest also in a good in-the-ear phone like the sennheiser cx300 for going out and about....

decisions, decisions....

Amazon is a great resource for better pricing also, after you've decided (and if you don't have to 'have it now')....I've bought almost all my IEMs and Headphones through them (over 16 different IEMs now....and 4 different sets of full size headphones). I picked up the TF10s for $95 on a sale on Amazon. May have to wait out the same for the Audio Technica ATH-M50...:D

Yes, I spend way to much time on Head-Fi (also have 3 different headphone amps and a DAC for my Mac Mini)....as they say, 'Sorry about your wallet'! :)

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Yes, I spend way to much time on Head-Fi (also have 3 different headphone amps and a DAC for my Mac Mini)....as they say, 'Sorry about your wallet'! :)

oh, ok. it's like macrumors but for headphones.

i can never decide what headphones or type of headphones to get so if i get a pair, it will be a first in a very long time.... i think the last headphones i bought were apple earbuds (the better ones) that i lost while ago.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
oh, ok. it's like macrumors but for headphones.

Yes. Usually pretty civil conversations, but there is a lot of 'FOTM' (flavor of the month) going on with anything new, and a lot of it directed at the sub $100 market (which is the biggest).

i can never decide what headphones or type of headphones to get so if i get a pair, it will be a first in a very long time.... i think the last headphones i bought were apple earbuds (the better ones) that i lost while ago.

There are a LOT of choices in your price range. It can get confusing/overwhelming if you start reading too much :D. But, any of the ones mentioned (headphones or IEMs) will be a step up.

I listen 2-3 hours a day, sometimes 2-3 times that...

I don't consider myself an 'audiophile'. However, I have learned/found, since joining Head-Fi back in 2004(!), what I really like to hear in music representation in both desktop and portable listening setups. It's not broken the budget (and it doesn't need to). Many times I've upgraded, then compared the upgrade, and the re-sold the old (or even in one case, the upgrade) via the Head-Fi 'for sale' sub forum.

Consider it 'great listening' when you stop hearing the faults of the devices....and just start listening to the music again.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
for under $100?

i would like to use it to listen to music from my iphone on the go and when i am also at home from my computer.

thanks in advance.

Your price is at significant odds with "bar none" as you can easily pay many times your limit for the highest quality sound.

That said, there are a lot of great sounding products in the $100 range. But do you want wired or wireless? In ear or on ear? Regular or noise canceling or isolating? You prefer a lot of bass or crystal clarity?

Hard to go wrong with various models from Bose, Klipsch, Shure, etc. My favorite in your price range is an in ear, noise isolating, Klipsch 4si which can be had for about $80.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My personal favorite for is Sony's MDR-XB700 which retail for over 100 but I've Seen them selling closer to 80 bucks. I have the Grado SR-80s and prefer the Sony's sound better. Clarity is about the same with better sensitivity on the XB700 much stronger but not over powering bass. These headphones are the most "balanced" for my personal taste. If you want to go cheaper or prefer hip hop or pop music the xb500s are good too for a little less money. The mids are a bit muddy which is why I upgraded to the xb700s and gave my 500s to my wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.