What's the best I'M app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 27, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I want the best app for iPhone for aim, msn. Face book. Is beejive the best

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

My vote is for Beejive. Only IM client that i use on iPhone / ipad

3. adam.posey macrumors newbie

If you're a regular user of Meebo you might prefer it. If not, Beejive.

4. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

5. iChick23 macrumors newbie

Gonna have to say BeeJive as well. It's really good.

6. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Not to mention meebo is free! I love meebo, just hope they update for the iPhone 4.

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Beejive. Meebo is a good alternative if you don't want to pay for Beejive though.

8. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Wow Beejive is $10. But it pushes new IM's to the home screen?

9. killahbee macrumors newbie

I have Beejive and its awesome. No issues what so ever. Keeps you signed on and pushes messages.

10. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Is Beejive updated for iOS4 to run in the background?

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

No IM client can actually run in the background, it's just not part of the SDK yet.

12. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

Yep sure is I have mine open all the time. It's actually the same as it's been since they released the Push function. You just have the quick launch of the multi-tasking menu now. Oh and +1 for Beejive. I've been using it since I was on a BB.

13. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

BeeJive seems to have fast switching enabled. Starts up right where it left off very quickly.

14. jtara macrumors 65816

No, Beejive does NOT have fast-switching enabled. It hasn't been updated for 4.0. It was released on June 8, which is before the App Store started accepting 4.0 apps.

Before fast switching, Apple encouraged app developers to have their apps save their state on exit, and restore it on start. Unfortunately, this didn't catch on in the developer community as well as Apple had hoped, and this wasn't a "must" for acceptance to the app store, because there are some types of apps for which this wouldn't be appropriate. As well, many developers implemented this poorly or inefficiently, with some apps taking 30 seconds or more to restore their state. (Navigation apps are notorious for this.)

Obviously, though, this WAS a "must" (at least from a practical standpoint) for IM applications that receive push notifications.

For apps that have implemented their own state-saving, the only difference users will see when/if the developer implements fast-switching is that perhaps the app will seem faster to restart. It's confusing for users because the task bar really isn't a task bar - it's a "most recently used" bar.

In 4.0, the OS can save the app's state for it, in a very fast and efficient way. But the app does need to be updated for 4.0 for this to happen. Apps that save their own state can still continue to do this on devices that don't have multitasking support. (3G and earlier, and devices that haven't been updated to 4.0.) That is, updated apps can do both, depending on the device they are running on.

Beejive obviously did everything right in the pre-4.0 world. I'd expect it to be even more fabulous once they update it for 4.0.

(I do not use or have Beejive myself. I'm a developer, and am only commenting based on what I have read here about Beejive. Since I'm a developer, I'm able to read between the lines a bit.)

There really isn't any NEED for IM apps to actually run in the background. The combination of push notifications and fast-switching does the job without the need for actually running in background. IMs are short, and the app can easily fetch new IMs when the user returns to the app after getting a notification with minimal delay. (The push notifications are short. While they can hold the text of an IM, they can't hold images, etc. which would have to be downloaded when the app is restored.)

15. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

You're a developer? Do you know if Apple is blocking new apps and updates for some reason? I haven't seen any at all since the launch of the iPhone 4. Not a single new app or update has come out since thursday.

16. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Definitely get Meebo. It's Free and UI is excellent, though they need to update it for iOS 4

17. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I absolutely loved IM+ until iOS4 was introduced & it pretty much went to ****. I've turned to BeeJive & Meebo. Love them both, but Meebo doesn't always cooperate with push.

18. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Meebo bothers me cause when I log into it on my phone. It changes all the settings I have saved on my aim on my comp. Like privacy settings and blocked users.

19. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

21. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

22. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Again, not true. June 25 and 26 are clearly after June 24. Make sure you check out the list I posted in the previous post! :)

Attached Files:

23. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

I use Trillian. It lets me have all my different accounts and I can leave the app and IMs will be sent to me. I can also set it to log off a certain time. It's pretty decent.

24. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Ok so... if there isn't a block and apps have been coming out... then what's the deal? Why haven't more developers updated their apps and icons for the retina display? What about something stupidly simple like Doodle Jump? It's frustrating.

25. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Trillian looks pretty good. I might give it a try.