what's the best IM/chat app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockinrocker, Nov 6, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

1. is there one app that will let me chat from all the different sources? (yahoo, microsoft messenger, others i don't know about)

2. once push goes up, would this same app be able to replace test messages? meaning, people could text me from their phone and it would show up on mine? msm too?

3. is there also a desktop (mac) counterpart to this app? meaning, one that i could use to chat with people regardless of which service they're using? so i could just have one account set up for both my phone and my desktop?

Thanks.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You can use Beejive ($15) and Fring (FREE!), they are both on the app store

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

I use Fring and Parlingo.

Fring is nice but it takes a while to connect. On the other hand, if you're IM'ing someone who gets your message by text, he will actually get like a notification.

Parlingo i use more often because it loads faster and has this group system. You can join any group created or create one if it's not already done. igroup and parlingo are the biggest groups. It's really fun when you starting having conv with many people at a time on your iphone.

4. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hey guys- thanks for the input.

those don't have desktop counter parts by chance though, do they?

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

6. Undispu7ed macrumors newbie

7. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Beejive is definitely worth all 15 dollars it works supports all major clients you can stay logged in for up to 24 hours without having to reload the app not to mention all the cool new things coming to it.

8. cdp1276 macrumors member

cdp1276

BeeJiveIM is the best and works with all IM services...

9. gr8gonzo macrumors member

gr8gonzo

beejive is the best, too bad you didnt ask last week it was at a discount last weekend, i have had the web based app for a bout a year and now i have the iphone app and love it

10. aaronflores57 macrumors newbie

Yea try Digsby it is compatible with almost all types IM's and you can log on to multiple account at one time

11. esquolax macrumors newbie

I too would say download the beejive app off itunes and save yourself the trouble of trying all the others out there.
    I found it to surpass any of the others in terms of speed, features and functionality; cost is expensive, but if you want to use it without headaches, it is a cheap app and soon to be one of our favorites for sure!!:apple:

Fring was ok, slow, not as good feature wise however I found. :(

BEEJIVE it is. :D