What's the best iPod case?

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
It would be for the 20GB click-wheel iPod. I would like to get something to protect it, to an extent; just something basic. Is Apple's iPod Carrying Case good? Or are there better ones?
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
iSkin eVo. I have an Exo for my 3G 20GB and it's great.
I couldn't agree more. I've got an iSkin evo2 for my 4G and I love it. Plus, it glows in the dark - not necessary, but cool. Highly recommended - all surfaces except the click wheel, headphone/remote jack, and hold switch are completely protected - including the screen. Only minus is that it isn't dockable, but that's trivial IMHO, and true of most any 4G case.
 

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
jsw said:
I couldn't agree more. I've got an iSkin evo2 for my 4G and I love it. Plus, it glows in the dark - not necessary, but cool. Highly recommended - all surfaces except the click wheel, headphone/remote jack, and hold switch are completely protected - including the screen. Only minus is that it isn't dockable, but that's trivial IMHO, and true of most any 4G case.
If you get a dock, do you have to take it off?
 

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
Apple's carrying case

I just read somewhere that you can't control the iPod when it's in Apple's carrying case? Is this true? Does the Apple carrying case cover everything?
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
dferigmu said:
I just read somewhere that you can't control the iPod when it's in Apple's carrying case? Is this true? Does the Apple carrying case cover everything?
Yes - you'd need a remote. Plus, rumor has it that the tag scratches the iPod case.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
StarbucksSam said:
I bought one of those once and the color was not remotely like advertised. I sent it right back. My new DLO skin for my iPod 20 just got here.
Sorry about that. My color was dead-on, and the skin has kept it safe in some threatening situations (no scratches, bumps didn't hurt it, etc.). I'm sure there are a number of good cases. Apple's case just isn't one of them.
 

ebow

macrumors 6502a
jsw said:
Yes - you'd need a remote. Plus, rumor has it that the tag scratches the iPod case.
Indeed, the fabric tag in Apple's supplied case does scratch the iPod exterior. I put my 3G iPod into the case backwards (with the screen facing the tag and belt clip) a few times and now it has two distinct parallel scratches down its face. :eek: I've been thinking of getting an eVo or eXo cover, but with all the scratches it already has (it's 1.5 years old), I don't quite see the point. Drop protection, perhaps?
 

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
265
0
Washington, DC
jsw said:
Yes - you'd need a remote. Plus, rumor has it that the tag scratches the iPod case.
Ok, that settles that. I am buying an iSkin eVo2 case. Now, to choose a color...white to compliment the iPod, black, or gray?
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
Wait just a min.

You should check out the cases from Marware as well.
The 4G SportSuit™ Convertible is a very good case.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
dferigmu said:
Ok, that settles that. I am buying an iSkin eVo2 case. Now, to choose a color...white to compliment the iPod, black, or gray?
Well, if you insist on drab, get the glow-in-the-dark "Ghost" color. The glow-in-the-dark feature is actually cool and at times has been useful.
 

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,679
1,147
England
ebow said:
Indeed, the fabric tag in Apple's supplied case does scratch the iPod exterior. I put my 3G iPod into the case backwards (with the screen facing the tag and belt clip) a few times and now it has two distinct parallel scratches down its face.
People's experiences seem to vary on this - maybe not all Apple supplied cases have the tag made out of the same fabric. I moved my old 3G iPod in and out of the Apple case over 1000 times, often backwards, and haven't had any scratching.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
dferigmu said:
Ok, that settles that. I am buying an iSkin eVo2 case. Now, to choose a color...white to compliment the iPod, black, or gray?
I was just looking at those yesterday at the local Apple store and found them to be more than acceptable, especially with the belt clip. I was thinking to buy the white or blue for my 40 GB. The price seemed high but it doesn't seem any worse than others that are strong on quality.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
bousozoku said:
I was just looking at those yesterday at the local Apple store and found them to be more than acceptable, especially with the belt clip. I was thinking to buy the white or blue for my 40 GB. The price seemed high but it doesn't seem any worse than others that are strong on quality.
Do it! You won't regret it.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
mcmav37 said:
How much do these covers give? I ask because I'm looking for a new case to keep my 60 GB iPod photo safe.
They're quite stretchable, and the 60GB isn't all that much bigger than my 40GB, so I'd say it's a very safe bet a 40GB evo2 would work just fine, including the hold switch and headphone holes as well as the Firewire port..
 

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
254
0
]KLGA[
mcmav37 said:
How much do these covers give? I ask because I'm looking for a new case to keep my 60 GB iPod photo safe.
They are mainly for scratch protection .. they'll take some of the grunt of a fall .. but they aren't a miracle either . .

oh sorry .. read the Q wrong ..
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
Mertzen said:
They are mainly for scratch protection .. they'll take some of the grunt of a fall .. but they aren't a miracle either . .
Good point. But given the iPod's ability to scratch when touched by a gentle breeze, that scratch protection is a big plus. The display cover is an especially nice touch, as that's where scratches are most annoying.
 

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
802
1
Costa Rica
jsw said:
They're quite stretchable, and the 60GB isn't all that much bigger than my 40GB, so I'd say it's a very safe bet a 40GB evo2 would work just fine, including the hold switch and headphone holes as well as the Firewire port..
According to their website http://www.iskin.com/store/I2shop_evo2.tpl, the "Size B" should work for both the 40GB AND the 60GB iPod Photo. So yes, it is a safe bet :)
 

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
305
0
Chicago, IL
Hand knit

my favorite case of all mine is my hand knit white sock with a grey top. I have quite a few hand knit ones though, but if to pick my favorite, and my suggestion it would be to knit your own. For the cold months its the most creative and personal way to go. For the summer months i have yet to really find anything innovative to my tastes.

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com