What's the best Mac Pro to get right now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MattMK45, Nov 24, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

Hi

just before I ask the question, i'm not in the market, not at all in fact, I'm just intrested to see if the new mac pro's are as fast as the 8 core 3.2 ghz model which holds the highest geekbench score of that mac.

So, what is the fastest, cheapest one out there?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Fast is relative. The last MacPro update are the early 2009 Nehalems, with the Octo 2.93 having the fastest processor. You can easily Google "MacPro 2009 benchmarks" and find comparative information.

2) As for your other question FAST = 1/CHEAP

3. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

cool ,thanks! Yer i was a bit lazy wasn't I, i was curious for it's such an expansive system, i mean anyone i would be satisfied with to say the least

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you've already got an '08 Octad at 3.2GHz, you've a really great machine. It'll be some time before you need to upgrade it.

I'd recommend waiting, as the '09's are a lousy value. The next line doesn't appear it will be cheap either, but for 3D rendering, it might, as the cores could make up for it. But that's going to happen for specific use; applications that can actually utilize all the cores. In such cases, the extra 4 cores will help. Beyond that, not so sure, as Apple has a nasty habit of crippling systems (i.e. fixing the memory clock to 1066, even though the higher clocked CPU's IMC can actually run 1333MHz). It can make a difference, assuming the software can utilize the additional bandwidth.

5. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

oops! I don't actually have a mac pro which i should of really made clear but would love one

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ah.

There's benchmarks out there, but some issues between models to consider if looking for a used system (EFI32 vs. EFI64, booting off the ODD_SATA ports,...). You can find them by searching the forum, as they're well covered.

But this thread's a bit pointless though... :eek: :p

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

:confused:

The fastest is a 2009 Octo with upgraded processors to run at 3.33GHz. I think it easily trumps any 2008 Octo... but even a stock 2.93GHz Octo will do that if memory serves.

The cheapest is a 2006 from Craigslist.

The best value is probably the 2.8GHz Octo from 2008 or if you want the best value from the 2009 lineup it's the 2.66 Quad or maybe the 2.66 Octo if you need that kind of multi-threaded support but I don't think either of them will best a 3.2Octo fromm 2008.

Tess needs to post his graph.

8. justit macrumors 6502a

IMHO, the best value is a 2.8Ghz Quad, as barely any mainstream apps take advantage of the Octo, except maybe handbrake.

But to answer your question, the best value mac is always any of the refurbs from apple.

9. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Honestly........ I'd say none of them, too much talk and speculation of too many new things happening.

1st.... Talk about Gulftown processor which is likely to include six cores per processor. (so that will make an either six or twelve core option). First speculation rumoured it to be ready end of 2009 but will likely become available early 2010. So at worst you'd be looking at a six month wait.

2nd.... Screens, when will the 30" be dropped in favour of an LED option or if we can faithfully believe Sony then the replacement ACD could even be or rather should be 3D enabled. Yep hate to tell you folks but BluRay could well be on it's way out. Sony have announced they are doubling outsourced production of flat screens and are concentration on production of 3D TV's and displays which they say will be available from mid to end of 2010.

Albeit this is written by someone still regretting not spending a portion (£12,000) of the marketing budget (£85,000) for a completely spec'd out octo core Mac Pro twin 30" screen. (Instead money was spent employing local company on stupid useless mail drop..... Oh how we learn.

Needless to state, £10,000 of next years budget is already allocated for the new Mac Pro when it's out

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

LOL, ok, naturally I must interject, what with the imminent blu-ray doom and gloom tone in your post. Sorry I know this isn't on subject, but since we're now talking about ACD, blu-ray, 3D, etc., I am compelled to ask, exactly just how does the advent of 3D technology spell the demise for blu-ray? I truly hope you are aware that 3D is not a medium format, but a technological enhancement (and until the tech is proven, some label it as a gimmick).

In fact, they've already announced the first blu-ray 3D player. If anything, the two technologies will compliment each other, not be destructive.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...ry_Trends/3D/3D_Blu-ray_Coming_Next_Year/3752

Anyway, getting back on track...I really hope they drop the prices on the Gulftown Mac Pros, as these recent iMac quad core benchmarks, I feel, are sort of stealing the thunder on the Mac Pros. I mean I think we're seeing the sort of similar overlaps we do with the new Macbook and the 13" MBP and for me, I think Apple will have to widen that gap again either by a price drop on the low quad, or a substanial boost to performance. Personally, I'd rather see a price drop, as everyone here points out, the 09 Mac Pro is overpriced as it is.

11. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Get a 2008 2.8 octo. They're monsters and still overkill for 99% of the population. You can find em cheap on ebay or CL.