Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Hi all.

This is my first post on here.

I have to say that the people/forum in general is very good, and will be lurking around for tips, tricks and updates quite regularly.

When I return home, I intend to buy an ipad 2. Decided that I need one with 3G, but I'm unsure which micro sim to go for.....!?

o2, three, vodafone, etc, etc...!?

I work offshore, both on platforms and a vessel.
The platforms have WiFi, but the vessel does not.

So when I am in port/out at sea on the vessel I would need 3G.

3G wouldn't get used an awful lot, but still think I would need this function. So my thinking is the Pay and Go option.

Can anyone on here recommend which to go for......!?

Thanks in advance, Stuart.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
3 do a broadband micro sim for the iPad that comes in 1 month or 1GB, 3 month or 3GB, 12 month or 12GB - whichever you use soonest from the first moment you use them.

You can pick them up on eBay for about £10 for the 3 month version.

No contract just put it in the iPad and use.

Heartily recommend 'em.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
You would defiantly need to check the coverage out there

But cheapest would be something like a giffgaff gigabag which use the o2 network

£5 payg gets you 500mb for 30 days. For general browsing, email, twitter and the odd youtube video that's enough... or there is higher usage options for video streaming etc.
http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/500MB-mobile-broadband

three tend to have good 3g - but check that they dont suffer slow downs at peak times, mine does.
http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?ipad=1&intid=3mainmbbwtclbrl253

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I would recommend Three, provided you get a good signal for them. They are a purpose-built 3G network, and naturally offer great speeds at a cheap price. I have them on a £25/mo 2 year contract.

Vodafone are probably second to Three for 3G speeds, but are not particularly good value (but TalkMobile are a much better value Virtual Operator that use Vodafone's infrastructure).

I have had pretty mediocre experience with o2 3G, and Tmobile are just appalling (0.3 up, 0.05 down). Orange, I don't know about.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
You need to make sure the signal you get in the vessel will actually be 3G and not 2G.

Good shout biohead.....

----------

We port in Esbjerg, Denmark. So would imagine 3G wouldn't be too bad there. As for out at sea, when we're "in the field" there is a mobile reception, but really couldn't say if it would be 3G or not......!!??

Is there a map online I can look at for coverage etc......??

Thanks for all your replies/suggestions so far.

Stuart.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
Good shout biohead.....

----------

We port in Esbjerg, Denmark. So would imagine 3G wouldn't be too bad there. As for out at sea, when we're "in the field" there is a mobile reception, but really couldn't say if it would be 3G or not......!!??

Is there a map online I can look at for coverage etc......??

Thanks for all your replies/suggestions so far.

Stuart.

3G coverage can be patchy inland, I highly doubt that you'll get signal at sea.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Mmmmm......I'm unsure now whether 3G is the best option or not due to coverage.....!?
I think it's Telenor that cover the 3G in Denmark, but starting to think after a bit of searching that there will be NO coverage out at sea.

Ekofisk complex is approximately 200 miles off the coast of Norway. This is where I work.

Sucks, cos I'm gonna be buying it at the airport on the way out to Denmark next month. So kinda need to decide to get 3G or WiFi only......!!? :confused:

Also what happens when you use your £5 data in the month. Do you just pay another £5 each month on the same sim. Re load it, top up style!?

Sorry for the dumba** questions, but I'm totally new to data only things.

Have had an iPhone 4 for quite a while now, and I'm loving it.

Stuart.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
You could get 2 or 3 different sims on sim only deals to try? Wouldn't cost you too much extra

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
You're not even going to be in England? Our SIM deals are irrelevant then. Sounds like you need to look at Norwegian carriers.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Personally, i'd save the money and go for a wifi only model. Then if you discover you can get 3G when at see (I doubt it but you never know) you can buy a mifi device and create your own wireless network. I believe the cost of a mifi is less than the additional costs of a 3G iPad too.

coopermac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
UK
Personally, i'd save the money and go for a wifi only model. Then if you discover you can get 3G when at see (I doubt it but you never know) you can buy a mifi device and create your own wireless network. I believe the cost of a mifi is less than the additional costs of a 3G iPad too.

I agree with bio head. Go wifi only to start with, it's cheaper too. If you find you can get 3G wherever you want to use it go for something like the Tmobile wifi pointer which is free on contract at £10 per month. You can connect upto 5 wifi enabled items. IGB per month but even if you use that you can still surf and email. I have used in various parts of UK and not had a problem so far.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Three

I use a Three sim in my iPad 1 which I'll most likely move to the new iPad when it turns up. 10Gb/mo for £15/mo. It was a 12 month contract, but that's now expired so it's just rolling on. Seems a fairly good deal, *however* I also have a Three dongle for my MacBookPro - again an expired 12 month contract but that one only costs me £7.50 a month for 10Gb. I dont understand that either, but not complaining :)

Three coverage here in Edinburgh is great. My iPhone is on O2 and the coverage is okay... but data is awful. Very, very slow and drops out traffic all the time despite full-bar signal (not just my iPhone either, my wife's iPhone just as bad).

Three also have the fast 3G network, so you should get ~7Mbit right across their network, and possibly 20mbit with the new iPad (?? or maybe not). I regularly get between 4-7Mbit with my Three dongle in the city centre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.