What's the best mobile development platform?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Shineym3, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Shineym3 macrumors newbie

Being more of a design and idea person I want to get several of my app ideas built but am not really interested in learning how to code everything from scratch. I have seen that there are several app development platforms out there, (Appcelerator, Red Foundry, Appitechture and Dapp to name a few) but have not heard from very many people as to which seems to be the best in terms of ease of use, quality and number of features, price and support just for starters.

Anybody have any experience with using these?

TIA

2. Greencardman macrumors 6502

What are you looking to develop? Games? Utilities?
    If its magazines, we user Baker, an open source platform that basically wraps HTML pages inside an app. It works really well and the guys working on it are really great.

More info:
    http://bakerframework.com/

Github:
    https://github.com/Simbul/baker

3. Shineym3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's mostly utilities. One critical element is the use of the accelerometer. I have noticed that more than a few of these platforms don't support that function at all for some reason. Any idea if some of these platforms support the use of outside code?

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Honestly I haven't ever been impressed with the amount of control you get with these platforms. Also when you start talking about using the accelerometer I am doubtful that it can be done well, hence why most don't support it.

Do you know anyone you could work with to handle the code? As much as some of us programmers like to think we're great designers, one can only learn so much. Thus programmers and designers often work together.

5. Shineym3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny you say that about finding a programmer to work with as I came to pretty much the same conclusion but have just not known where to find such a person. Even the local MeetUp groups have been really just hobbyists who like to talk about ideas but it doesn't ever get past that. Any ideas on where would be a better place to look???

6. Shineym3 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You're allowed to ask about off-site places to find developers. You just can't actively solicit for them here, expect in the Marketplace forum.