Whats the best option for $500?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tarken, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Tarken macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting my first Mac computer and I would like to know what you guys think is the best option for $500 or less? I was looking at getting a Mac Mini, but after reading on the forums here, it appears that would be a terrible option. I am completely open to buying a used machine as long as it can run Yosemite and being a good machine for me. I am looking to replace this horrible Windows 8 computer. Just tired of the bugs and overall crap. Thanks for your time.

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

have you read the forums lately ? a lot of positive opinions on the mini. the angry voices were most likely the disappointed fans after the release.
    the mini is a nice cheap mac, the previous version was a bit more powerful (if you go to the refurb store)

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I disagree with those who say "it's a terrible option". Unless you're a power user or want to 'tinker under the hood', don't knock that little Mini. Coming from Windows (unless you had an all-in-one), you probably have a monitor, kb and mouse, so that $499 will give you a brand-new, nice little entry-level Mac that runs Yosemite, and comes with full warranty.

Other than that, for a budget of $500 you'd have to take your chances with an older used Mac, or get that latest version entry-level Mini from the refurb store for $419. A good deal really, considering Apple's refurb QC, return privileges and full warranty. Also from the refurb store, for a mere $589 you can get a considerably better Mini with a 2.6GHz d.c. i5, 8GB of memory, a 1TB HDD and Iris graphics.

If you decide to go the route of an older used Mac, I would advise against going with anything older than 2009-2010; running Yosemite might be a problem, but mainly for ease of parts availability. Hope you find what you're looking for!

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Refurb?

I don't think you have ever read any of the threads on this forum on Apple refurbished equipment. 99% will, i believe agree that they are like brand new. Nothing missing, no dents, nicks etc. the only difference is the box. I have bought several refurbished Macs as well as an iPad and 2 phones. Full warranty, AppleCare availability and a good discount. I will never buy a brand new Mac unless what I need or want is not on the refurb store.

5. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying the $419 one on the refurb site. I am going to try it out for 14 days and see if it will work for me. If not, then I will take it back and get the $589 one. I am hoping it will do what I need. If there are better options that I missed, please keep giving advice, I can always return this thing!

6. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, just thought of this. How do I connect my VGA and DVI monitors to this? Is there a cheap place to get adapters?

7. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

it should come with a HDMI to DVI adapter (one of the best I've ever had)

8. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I hope so. I was thinking of getting one on Amazon. I do not want to get the machine and have to wait to use it!

http://i.imgur.com/MIpwl7l.png

Are you sure it comes with one? Or should I just order one?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to order HDMI to DVI adapter. Only few dollars.

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)

DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

I have nothing but praise for Apple refurbs. Using one now. I arrange dock icons differently from the MBA purchased new so I can tell them apart without checking serial numbers.

Same warranty as new. Excellent value IMO. I prefer buying form Apple. Less hassle in my experience.

11. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

seems like you need one, my old 2011 version it was included (incl. a remote as well)

12. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

13. RedCroissant Suspended

14. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you being serious, or joking? If you are joking, I can't tell.

15. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Considering it comes with the base processor and graphics from 2008, it isn't a great deal, but it isn't the worst. The SSDs and 32GB of RAM are the main value of the system. I would really just stick with the mac mini though and pop a 256GB SSD in there for 100$. It is a smaller package, and will most likely run faster than the mac pro.

Best,
    Matt

16. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it.

What do you guys think of this?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sys/4851927676.html

17. Famousaudio macrumors newbie

mac mini open box thru best buy..... i think they have a open box promotion this month

18. RedCroissant Suspended

I was completely serious. for $500, you get an Awesome machine with great upgrades, AND a 30" Cinema Display. That's fantastic.

The cinema displays are still awesome displays with great clarity and are well worth the money in my opinion.

19. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The display is 500$ by itself. 900$ for the two.

20. RedCroissant Suspended

Ok, good point. I would still buy it though!