whats the best option for setting up mac mini as a server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koopa35, Sep 13, 2010.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

I want to setup mac mini as a server for my apple tv and macbook. im thinking of going the sever route 1. because i want to learn serve side things and 2. because i have access to it.

I plan on adding a lot more video to my collection so ill be adding at least 1tb to the setup. whats the best solution for my needs?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Personally if you have never used server I would wait till you get familiar with it before worrying about trying to make a home media network based around it. OS X server is not that hard to use but the configuration is a good bit more involved then a standard OS X setup. (It is also in my experience much easier to screw the system up because you have access to a lot more things then you do in OS X client.)

On a personal note I was going to do something similar but ended up ditching the idea because to be honest its so much easier to setup a network with two OS X client machines and just have the mini connected to the TV with your iTunes library. (I actually have a duplicate copy of my movies and TV shows on my mini so I don't have to use file-sharing or any other shared solution.)

Cheers