What's the best OS X Flash editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ShadowXOR, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

I've heard SWiSH Max2 is the best but looking into it, the program appears to only have a Windows version. Am I stuck with the (from what I've heard) inferior, and far more expensive Adobe Flash editor?

Any other recommendations? I don't mind paying, but Adobe's own software is pretty steep and I heard it isn't the best. But if it's the best on OS X please tell me, since I want the best.

I'm mostly interested in making games with it so I don't need a simple animation editor I'll need to code ActionScript, etc.

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

check out this link to answer the quesrtion for yourself as to whether adobe flash is really inferior

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=max&tab=matrix

from what i read from everyone who has posted anything on google, when you search swish vs adobe flash they ALL say adobe is better.. I am not much of a flash user, but adobe has support for action script 3.0 and writes more valide script

3. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

Great point, I didn't know SWiSH Max2 didn't support ActionScript 3, that's a deal breaker. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Can I code ActionScript 3 within Flash CS4, or do I need to use Xcode/TextMate?

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yes, you can do it within CS4, i JUST got cs4 and havent really played with it (like i said, i'm not much of a flash girl) but i have read that yes, you can do AS3.0 within the program itself.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If you're a student check with your school/bookstore for CS4 pricing. You can save thousands of dollars sometimes.

6. ShadowXOR thread starter macrumors regular

It is much cheaper for student pricing, but aren't you not allowed to make any profit off of something created in a student edition? I would probably rather buy the real version since I want to put my games on a site like Kongregate where you get ad revenue and tips. That isn't my primary goal (making money) but I don't want to be afraid to put it up on that great site.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the only place that I have found where adobe explicitly said that you can not use it for commerical purposes is on the UK adobe website. If you go to the US adobe site, there are no such restrictions, just to restriction to be used by ONE person, and even thent hey say you can only use it on one computer, but when i called them they said I can use it on TWO computers, one desktop and one laptop

And yes, the student version is about $1000 cheaper.