What's the best place to buy a used MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yr Blues, May 22, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'm looking for a white MacBook (MA699LL/A) 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 512 RAM, 60 HD. Do you know any reputable online stores? :)

I would like that it comes with the package and case-candy, but it's not a must.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

store.apple.com

Look for refurb under "Special Deals"

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Seconded.

Apple Refurb is *the* best place. Up to 30% off, and full warranty. New stuff goes up about 8am, and the best models sell out very quickly, sometimes within minutes.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Thirded (trebeleded?).

I'll add that:

# It performs and looks like new
    # The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    # The computer has undergone two sets of rigorous quality control testing
    # It comes in new packaging (not the new packaging) and includes all manuals and accessories - nothing is missing

5. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Which time-zone is that 8 AM for?

6. steeler macrumors regular

Another vote for the Apple Refurb store, and I've seen new stuff go up at about 4:15 p.m. PDT at least twice in the past few months, but I don't watch the refurb store that closely.

7. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Also watch pricegrabber.com if you look for a new unit with original box etc.

8. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

I bought my used one from a guy on craigslist. I wouldn't really recommend that though, because it's easy to get ripped off, luckily I didn't. I got mine for $700 though.

9. StuBeck macrumors 6502

How is it easy to get ripped off from craigslist? You see the item before you buy it and don't buy it if its sketchy. I think Craigslist is better then the refurb store because you can see the item first. I bought an iPod from the refurb store and their "rigorous" quality control missed a problem which showed up 2 seconds after turning it on. Eventually you should get a good model, but I've heard of lots of people having problems with the refurb store, and in my case they didn't even put my purchase into the system so it took a month for me to receive a replacement.