What's the best program for hard drive folder organization and clean up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i make movies, Jul 24, 2010.

1. i make movies macrumors regular

Hi guys,

As the title says, I'm looking for a program to organize and clean up my hard drive. I have an iMac now, but I had a iBook before that and the way I backed up my iBook was by dragging my Volumes folder into an external hard drive. I have folders inside of folder for days. I have my ibook backed up several times that way.

What I would love is a program that did the following

1.) Delete duplicates of everything.
    2.) Put all file types into a single file extension folder (put all .doc in a folder called DOCs and all pdfs in a PDF folder, etc.etc.).

Any suggestions? If I did this manually, it would takes days. I have two 500 GB externals and 1 TB in my iMac. My iBook is no longer with us...(single tear).

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

To answer your questions:

Duplicates: just Google "mac find duplicate files" and you'll get lots of hits leading to software that has this functionality. I don't use any such software, so can't offer an opinion on their varying quality

Sort Files By Type:
    1) open a Spotlight window (option-command-spacebar by default)
    2) press the "plus sign" (it's next to the save button near the top-right)
    3) set the first dropdown to "kind", and the second dropdown to "other"; type ".doc" (without the quotes!) into the resulting search bar; this will bring up all of your .doc files
    4) drag the .doc files into whatever folder you want to consolidate them to... all done!