whats the best quality video i can run on a ibook g4 1.2ghz in either osx or linux

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Anarchy99, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i like xbmc for my xbox unforunately it can barely handle 720p

well i recently got a good deal on a ibook g4 1.2ghz and i was thinking maybe i could use that for a xbmc replacement media player that could do 720p and 1080i/p because of the more ram, faster gpu and faster processor

although i hear the ibook cant handle high def
    is this true
    is there anyway i could?
    i plan on leaving it be a media player so linux or osx wouldnt be a issue

also if this is possible whats the best media center app i could use

thanks

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

the screen size is 1024x768 so in theory the best footage you could play would be something like 1024x768 in h.264 Quicktime. Whether the iBook could keep up with the pace i'm not sure about.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK from experience on my iBook G4 1.2GHz:

480p - fine
    720p - like a slideshow
    1080p - like an art gallery exhibition, you see the same image until somebody manually changes the pictures.

AppleTV preset from DVD rips in Handbrake - Not good, very stuttery.

DVD videos - fine

Video playback is all processor and the G4 was pretty damn slow - it handles DVDs fine but nothing HD at all. High (2Mbps+ bitrate) H.264 bitrates were really bad too which explains the AppleTV from Handbrake issue - the G4 just can't crunch all those bits in H.264. MPEG-4 was fine though all the way up to 8Mpbs.

It's definitely not going to suit as a HD media centre.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What Chundles said.

G4 cannot play HD videos at full speed, but can play many other more smaller (but more common) resolutions.

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Well I think it depends on the codecs involved as well. For example H.264 will require more processing power than Sorenson at the same resolution.

On my old iBook I was able to get relatively fluid fullscreen playback in some situations.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

My old PB G4 1.5GHz drops frames on 720p web video (like from Apple Trailers, for example), so it's pretty safe to say G4s really don't have the horsepower to keep up with HD video.

You really need an Intel-based machine for this.