What's the best RAM to get/place to get it?

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Hi, I've got a 17'' MBP. It's one of the pre-Unibody models and I got it JUST before they upgraded the standard 17'' to have 4 GB of RAM.

So, now that I've finally installed Windows 7 on this thing and am playing Dragon Age:Origins, I thought it would be a good time to get RAM.

Could you guys help me out by telling me what type I should get and what's the best/cheapest place to get it?

I'd really appreciate it. Thankyou!

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
There are numerous opinions, I use Crucial, it works well for me. Many purchase from NewEgg.
I there anywhere else? All the RAM I find on Newegg is $80+
And all Crucial has is $100+!

I remember a while ago there was a site I could get 2 2GB sticks for only about $45... :(

Comment

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How does this look?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231199

Jesus though, $99 for DDR2 RAM?! I remember it being cheaper. :(
1. Thats the wrong RAM
2. You dont need Apple specific RAM. Its the same stuff but costs more.

This is what you need.

As for DDR2 RAM prices, they are going up. DRAMeXchange keeps tabs on the industry and DDR3 has officially surpassed DDR2 in new products making way for more DDR3 production at lower costs. More DDR3 production means less DDR2 production hence prices go up.

Comment

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
1. Thats the wrong RAM
2. You dont need Apple specific RAM. Its the same stuff but costs more.

This is what you need.

As for DDR2 RAM prices, they are going up. DRAMeXchange keeps tabs on the industry and DDR3 has officially surpassed DDR2 in new products making way for more DDR3 production at lower costs. More DDR3 production means less DDR2 production hence prices go up.
So, basically, prices are just going to keep on rising?!

Comment

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I there anywhere else? All the RAM I find on Newegg is $80+
And all Crucial has is $100+!

I remember a while ago there was a site I could get 2 2GB sticks for only about $45... :(
I purchased 4GB DDR3 (2 x 2GB) for $65 from newegg right when they first released the unibody MBP. But now that the demand for DDR3 is higher the prices have increased.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.