What's The Best Screen Recording Application For Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rs14smith, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rs14smith macrumors regular

Hey guys,

What application do you recommend for screen recording? I'm currently using IShowU HD Pro, but was wondering if there are even better softwares out there for screen capture?

Just curious :rolleyes: to what some of you may be using.

Thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It's pricey, but it's the best. Check out ScreenFlow.

It's mainly used by professionals who need something really good. As an alternative, QuickTime X in Snow Leopard has the capability to screen record built-in, although it's not as polished. But hey, it's free.

3. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, did not know that about Quicktime. ScreenFlow looks pretty nice too.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Ouch... $99! I'd stick with quicktime, polished or not.

5. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's a bit much, but I haven't used QuickTime X's version yet to make and comparsions.

I really would like one that allows you to zoom in while you are recording manually. Like most will zoom in if you leave your mouse in a certain spot for a while or if you click on something.

Watching the ScreenFlow video, while you edit the video you can zoom in or out whatever you were screen capturing which was pretty neat.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm going to go with Screenflow. It is the all-in-one package of recording, editing and post-processing. The callout features are quite nice when you are trying to highlight something important, and it's fairly straight-forward.

7. alexk82 macrumors regular

i had the same question

I had the same question as rs14smith..

screenflow looks really nice and I plan to check it out, but rs14smith do you have any IShowU complaints? the price point is better than screenflow.

8. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

Not really, it gets the job done, and I like how you can have the web cam going and move that to the position where you want it on the screen.

Overall it's a handy application to have, even though there have been some very very small issues I've ran into with it when upgrading something on it, but overall it's a keeper.

I don't think I do enough screen recording yet to purchase ScreenFlow, it would be a waste of money at the moment.

9. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

ScreenFlow is $20 off today, this coupon pushed me to buy it. I was pleasantly surprised when they included Flip4Mac WMV Studio for free. Nice!

http://macappdeals.com/