What's the Best-Shootout (battery back up cases)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WA Nightrain, Mar 11, 2014.

1. WA Nightrain, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014

WA Nightrain macrumors newbie

Hey all, first post and I know there are single threads on some of these but is there or has there been a shoot out of the four.

Boostcase 2200mAh

Mophie Juice Pack Plus 2100mAh

PhoneSuit Elite 5 2100mAh

Lenmar Meridian 2300mAh

All for the 5S, what is the best power wise, talk time, style, ease of use, protective and overall best....price not considered, this is the best performer.

I am leaning towards the Lenmar or PhoneSuit.....go for it!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife as the Mophie juice pack, and I like how that works. I'd cast my lot with Mophie, they're the industry leader and I like their products.

The only downside for them (all?) is the lack of thunderbolt interfaces. The juicepack uses micro-usb and I think that makes us iPhone users scrounging for cables that we don't have

3. WA Nightrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, so what makes them the industry leader, is it based on sales personal preference or market reviews?

Could you please explain the thunderbolt interface a bit more and what is the cable difference? Isn't the cabling compatible with the 5S and doesn't the cable charge the phone and packs? Cheers

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I currently use this:
    uNu Power DX External Protective Battery Case for iPhone 5s / iPhon... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1UQBGA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_WXUhtb15H309K
    It works great and I get over 100% extra battery power for the day. It has a good feel to it and is not slippery because of the matte finish. This is my favorite battery case of the 13 I have. Only downside is that the battery case charges slowly but I charge it overnight so it is full by my wake up time:)

The uNu and the meridian are the same battery case BTW in terms if specs and shape/design. Plus it is much cheaper than mophie.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because they were the first (or there abouts) out the case with a battery back up.

iPhones use thunderbolt, others use micro-usb - different cables.

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It called lightning not thunderbolt ;)
    Same term in terms of weather but is different in the apple world.

7. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Not sure about UnU you have but I have the matte black version and it suffers from an annoying creak on the righthand side. I tried to snap the case in many times but during the use in a given day, it always seems to loosen and creak again. My fellow podcaster also has a UnU (in white) and has the same problem. Not sure if it's a production run issue but the creak is really annoying. I received a review unit and will be definitely writing it up. I agree with slow charging as well.

Just as an additional note, my friend with the White UnU attempted to contact (via email) the company with no response. He has since sold the case and picked up a Mophie. I am going to write my review based on my experience and attempt to contact the company as well.

8. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I have tried many and they are all so heavy and bulky!

Mophie Air is light, but the battery is small.

It is all about compromise, I suppose.

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have no creek noises and never though a case can do that. Still is my favorite case:)

10. WA Nightrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, there seems to be a lean towards the Mophie..although the UnU look ok too. interesting to hear that they all perform about the same, I would of thought that the Lenmar outshone the rest??

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The lenmar battery case is the same battery case as uNu's with lenmars name on it. Neither company designed it. They just pay to put their company name on it. Many products are like this.
    Same form factory/shape but a little design change like the power button placement.

12. Ezra923 macrumors regular

Before you buy the Mophie. I bought a blue mophie air (i think , well 80%) for my iphone 5 at best buy and took it home and one little tap or shake will stop it from charging, couldve burned my phone. So I took it back for another which did the same except this one was red. I noticed that all the colored ones didnt have a small plastic stoper to stop the on and off toggle from moving yet all the silver ones did. So i took home a silver. Ok so now the purpose of it is to never take it off it is ment to be charged with the usb cable it brings and both the device and case are charged at the same time. Yea right 50% of the time it would say this device does not support blah blah. So i would have to take it apart and charge both seperately every night and then one day i am about to take it apart and it broke the shell came out leaving the motherboard in plain sight both buttons lost what a mess. Everyone spoke so highly about this thing but maybe i just had some bad luck?

13. WA Nightrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting but not making my decision easier..;)

I didn't realise the Lenmar and uNu's were the same so thanks for that info.

What about the Boostcase and PhoneSuit?

14. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't have opinions on the boost case but I have the PhoneSuit also. That one is more expensive but works good though. But I personally like the unu battery case better (I do not work for them). I get more power to charge my iPhone with, in my experiences, with the unu.

Just to show you, here's another one that looks exactly like the unu/lenmar case:
    LifeCHARGE ONT-PWR-35171 MFI Approved 2300mAh Rechargeable Extended... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGZ247O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_a-bitb13SHVGJ

15. WA Nightrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Z man!

16. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Sorry if mentioned above, don't recall the names.

There are charging cases that come with a snap on case for the phone that then snaps into the charger. So when you want a smaller device, take it off the charger until you need it.

My 2 cents.

I keep taking them off because they are so big. I guess if you really need them all the time, you will get used to the extra weight and bulk.

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Here's one that I have an like.
    Jackery Leaf Premium iPhone 5S, 5 Battery Case Charger; 2 Protection Cases (Black & Orange) + 1 Snap-on Rechargeable External Battery + 1 Audio Extension Cable; Apple MFI Certified
    http://amzn.com/B00GWYKTCW

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

@Zmanbaseball2:

What else would you consider to be on the thinner and lighter end of the battery cases? I'm not 100% sold on my Unu Aero at this point but that seems be about as thin and light as they come.

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I'm currently using the unu power DX 2300mah battery case on my iPhone 5. I also like the phonesuit elite battery case but it is a little bulkier than the unu. I have not seen anything better then the unu. I do not have any mophie cases to compare.

20. DonnyXMX macrumors member

DonnyXMX

The Mophie juice Pack Plus you can't sync with your computer unless you take off the case. The Life Charge you can sync with the case on and has a 2300 mah where the Mophie Juice Pack Plus is only 2100 mah. You make the call

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Lifecharge iPhone 5 battery case is the same as the unu power DX. The only difference is how to tell how much power is left and the brand.

22. WA Nightrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I am starting to like the uNu!!

----------

What about the uNu with the charging mat, only 2000mAh but 20 hours talk time compared to 18 hours with the 2300mAh??

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

uNu looks interesting but I failed to see a switch to start the battery recharging, how does that work?

With my wife's Mophie, you slide a switch when you want to charge up your iPhone's battery.

Looks like you need to use an extender cable for the headphone jack as well (this appears typical for most battery back up models)

24. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The unu aero (charging mat) just adds wireless charging (not qi charging) to an iPhone 5/5s and the 2000mah battery can charge an iPhone up to 100% but it depends on how you use the device when charging. I personally prefer the unu power dx 2300mH battery case because it has a little more power and I like the feel of it better.

----------

The unu has a button on the back that can be pushed down for 3 seconds to start/stop the charging. It does come with a headphone extension. All the battery case I have reviewed, except 1, (around 15) needed a headphone extension to use my headphones. The PhoneSuit elite battery case works with my 90 degree plug but it is a bit bulky IMO.
    Just to let you know these are the same battery cases as the unu just a different company name:
    MFI Apple Approved - Lenmar Meridian iPhone 5/5s Rechargeable Exten... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099SG2WE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_BuAjtb1QQSZT3
    LifeCHARGE ONT-PWR-35171 MFI Approved 2300mAh Rechargeable Extended... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGZ247O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_lvAjtb1Q72V35

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Lenmar has a bunch of negative reviews, so much so I'll probably steer clear.

How easily does the uNu's case come off. Since I don't think I can sync my iPhone in iTunes via the cable with the case on, being its using a micro-usb interface?