Whats the best smart cover combo.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TSX, Jul 28, 2011.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Looking for a back cover for my iPad 2, whats the best back cover/smart cover combo.

2. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Anything that has the smart cover cut out would be fine.

I went the Full Back Skin option and am happy with how they look.

I would recommend a hard case on top of the skin if you are travelling.

For home use i dont use any case , only the skin and smart cover. Sometimes i even take the smart cover off.

3. bobright macrumors 601

Well I've got a back body shield as well and am still on the hunt for a hard case compatible with it and/or smart cover

Since you are using a skin can you tell me what hard shell case you are using that works?

4. Digidesign macrumors 6502

I recommend SwitchEasy's CoverBuddy to complement your smart cover. What I like about it is that it's low profile and the edges are rounded so when I take the smartcover off, it still feels natural to keep the iPad in the CoverBuddy. Plenty of colors to choose from to go with whatever your smartcover is.

I bought a cheaper $10 back cover (clear companion TPU cover) from Amazon from CIMO, but what the photos don't show is that the back cover has a lip that runs around the edge of the front of the iPad. That lip prevents the smartcover from sitting flush on the iPad.

5. hawaiipoolman macrumors regular

6. himesh macrumors regular

7. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

+1 ;)

8. ijustgraduated macrumors member

Here it is. I also purchased it with prime shipping on Amazon but I don't see it available now. The lip doesn't bother me and doesn't have an effect on my smart cover. I tested it and it may be weaker when held upside down, but when I hold the Smart cover itself (w/ iPad 2) upside down, it doesn't hold so well that way either. Nevertheless, the case has good protection and an awesome price. I checked the description and it says this:

• Glossy, raised front edges provide a resting place for your Smart Cover above your screen adding extra protection

I guess that sorta makes up for the lack of images.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Smart-C...2X1DSC0SAJ94E&s=generic&qid=1313300087&sr=1-2

9. jsh1120, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Can't tell you the "best" smart cover combo. There are lots of options and almost as many opinions. I can, however, suggest one to avoid. Purchased the "genuine leather" back cover from Bear Motion on a "one day sale" through Amazon for the ridiculous price of $2.99 and free shipping. (See url below.)

No, I'm not that naive. I was skeptical that it was "genuine leather." But since it was supposedly a one-day sale with a claimed retail price of $50, I thought I might get lucky. And since I was ordering other items from Amazon, I tossed it into the cart.

Not "genuine leather." In fact, the box label (unlike the Amazon description) indicated it was "real non-leather," whatever that is. Cheap pebble grain "leatherlyke" fabric glued to a plastic back case. An interior "fleece-like" fabric that was equally cheap and apparently cut with a dull knife.

Not a "one day sale," either. More like the oriental carpet stores that are continuously "going out of business." The "one day sale" is still going on.

But the worst part was that it simply does not fit. Period. The crimped and glued leatherlyke cover wrapped around the corners and was so incompetently attached and crimped into a bulging mess that the iPad could not be completely inserted into the cover.

Frankly, I would not have ordered this piece of junk if I hadn't read positive reviews of Bear Motion's other (more expensive) products. I won't make that mistake again.

Despite the measly amount involved, this one is going back to Amazon on principle. And for the umpteenth time in my life, the old sayings that you get what you pay for and that if a deal seems to be too good to be true it probably is turn out to be good advice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DBO228

P.S. On the brighter side, I have clear back covers from Speck and from ENKI.

The Speck model has a metal strip on the back that holds the SmartCover in place when folded over. Very nice touch. However, I found the strip itself came off after about a month and had to be re-glued. Not a big deal but disappointing. In addition, the cover itself (quite light and thin) tended to pick up lots of scratches. Better than the iPad being scratched but after a couple of months it was looking rather drab.

The ENKI (www.enkigear.com) is another long story. Pre-ordered one and put up with the company's fiasco of late shipping and low quality (sharp edges and no mic hole.) Bought it partly because of the price (included a sleeve and screen protector for $30) and partly because it's manufactured in the USA by a small company in Michigan where the economy is in rough shape. Eventually received an unsolicited replacement case with an improved design and better quality. It's an excellent case. A bit thicker than the Speck and much tougher. Perfect fit.

Not sure I can recommend ENKI given their early problems but they now have an expanded line of SmartCover color-coordinated back cases. And the redesigned model is, as noted above, very high quality. They seem to have overcome their initial problems (from what I can tell on their facebook page.) So if you're willing to take a chance, their cover may be worth considering.

Edit: Since writing the review above I've been contacted by Bear Motion and have been assured that the case in question is, in fact, genuine leather. The label on the box stating otherwise is a coincidence stemming from the contraction of the word "companion" to "nion." This doesn't change my opinion of the product or the fact that the version I received will not fit my iPad. But I feel it's only fair to revise my earlier comments regarding whether it is or is not genuine leather.

And still another Edit: I don't usually do this but written such a negative review I feel obligated to mention that Bear Motion has sent me a replacement case to try and a pre-paid return shipping label for the faulty case.

The reason I mention this is that Bear Motion has demonstrated an incredibly high level of customer service, especially considering that the product in question was a measly $2.99. I have no idea if I'll be satisfied with the replacement but I have to say that the customer service and concern demonstrated by Bear Motion (over a weekend, no less) is impressive enough to bear noting.

10. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I would actually like a white back cover for my iPad 2. Ifrogz is the only one I have seen but it's comes out to $40.00 after shipping and that's more than I wanna spend are there any other case makers that have white backs?

11. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Think Giffin

Do a White one. I gave up on smart cases, and opted for a shell cover from otter box.

There is plenty out there to choose from

13. echaos1210 macrumors member

l

The Speck Smart shell looks great because of the magnet in the back