Whats the best SMS alternative?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macswitcha2, Jul 30, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I am learning that you can send Text messages for free through transferring data apps, which is the best one?

I will like to know because the text message service on iphone is expensive!

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

3. roeiboot macrumors regular

roeiboot

so you can use Beejive to sent sms to who ever ? and receive as well ? this could be useful for me.....

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I would suggest just using an instant message client, especially if you already have one with a screen name that your friends know. This way you can send texts and it will show your screen name associated with them.

There are also some texting apps in the store, I don't use them so I can't recommend any specifically. Just go read the reviews and look at the features that each offers. You're definitely going to want one that supports push notifications though. That way you can get messages while you're not in the app.

They will be able to reply to your messages. However, they can't just send you a message out of the blue.

5. mozart11 macrumors newbie

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have google voice and saw that but how can you use google voice on iphone? is there an app? Right now, I only can access google voice through the internet on my iMac.

Ok, I just texted someone by using my iMac and saved the name to the number and all and notice that the reply is coming from a 406 area code even though it indicates the sender's name.

Are all these messages free? You mean ATT will not charge me for the text messages?

7. roeiboot macrumors regular

roeiboot

thanks guys... the thing is i want to sent/receive sms without them showing up on the on-line account :]

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I want to know, does any GV activity show up on my ATT account?

9. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

The Google Voice app was rejected by Apple, but the web app version may work once GV goes live for mobile devices, so keep an eye out. The other problem with that, however, is that you'll have to choose a new phone number for yourself.

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, but that does not answer my question. Without the phone app, can I send free text messages?