What's the best software for iPhone video conversion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Nov 15, 2007.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for the best PC software (lots of features yet easy to use) that'll let me convert avi, mpg, dvd, vob, maybe even wmv video files for use on the iPhone at the correct resolution.

Preferably free but doesn't have to be.

Any suggestions?

2. uneducated dave macrumors member

i'm not trying to hijack your thread, but if anyone knows of any similar programmes to work with a mac any help would be much appreciated! i have a load of .avi files i want to put on my iphone.

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

There is Handbrake. I know this works well for Mac. However, I've heard of a windows version that I recommended to my girlfriend, but we couldn't find a working version.

4. bassjunkie macrumors newbie

I just use QuickTime Pro, it has export settings for iPhone. Works well for me

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

On a Mac:

for converting a DVD, I use Handbrake

for converting other files (like Divx/AVI/WMV), I use iSquint

I'm not sure what the PC equivalent of "iSquint" is.

6. dugs022 macrumors newbie

for mac, VisualHub, it's not free but it's the best.

for pc, Jodix, it's free and works well.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm using a PC.

Also looking for software that lets you crop video files or edit them?

8. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I don't know how well this works compared to the other available tools, but I use Digital Media Converter (v2.7) to convert from various formats, including avi, wmv, dvr-ms and mpeg-2 to mpeg-4 (among others). It's not free, but I recall that it was also not expensive.

In fact, I use this tool a lot to convert my recorded TV shows that were saved using MythTV and MCE and upload them onto my IPT.

For video-editing, I also have many tools (Pinnacle Studio, Nero), but I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and save into wmv format for further conversion into mpeg-4 by Digital Media Converter.

One option for folks is to use the Plextor ConvertX usb-based product; the hardware has the native ability to record/encode directly into mpeg-4, so no conversion should be necessary. This works for Mac as well as PC, but you need different software (drivers and the PVR).

NB: I don't have the ConvertX product; I am only quoting the literature...

EVP

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have been using the jodix free converter. I have converted at least 20 movies from redcurtainmovies.com. If you don't know about them check them out. They don't have alot of movies but they get new movies(I mean still in the theater's new. I got American ganster a week before it was in the movies. I don't know how this site stays open but it cool and its free. Here's the links. Enjoy.:D

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jodixipodvideo.html

http://www.redcurtainmovies.com

10. Mossman macrumors member

Visual Hub

Awesome bit of software and well priced too :D

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

another vote for visualhub.. use it all the time..
    not just for iphone conversion, but you can pretty much convert to any format you want, from any format you have.. :D