What's the best solution for combining both tv and mac running

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grolubao, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Hi to all,

I will me moving to a new house on the near future. I use the mac a lot but sometimes I like watching some normal Tv.

I only have space for having one display at a time, so I was wondering what would be the best solution to combine both the Tv signal and the normal use of the mac with that display. Basically:

- Buying a 24" Apple display
    - Buying a normal 24" tv display

I have no idea... Can you please shed some light to the topic?

Thanks in advance!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, you have two options. You could buy a monitor with a built-in TV tuner like one of these, or you could buy any monitor (Apple or no) as well as a separate TV tuner. The latter option will be more expensive, but it will allow you to choose any monitor you want and you will be able to record TV programs.

3. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Hey!
    Thanks a lot for your answer!

But this TV tuner can use the cable tv?

4. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

Yes, most external TV tuners plug into a USB port in your computer and let you plug your coaxial cable from your cable jack into the USB port.

5. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

What i used to do when I lived in a dorm was use the RCA video input of my dell display hooked into an old VCR that had a tuner (most do, I believe, check any old ones you have), which had the coax cable running to it. I also had my computer plugged into the DVI port of the dell display, and simply changed the inputs when I wanted to watch TV or use the computer. It was cheap and easy, as I already had all the parts I needed to make it work and didn't have to buy anything special.

6. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

What do you think it's the best solution? It's that for the price of the Apple 24" display, I can get a 30" tv or bigger...

Will it display with poor quality on a normal tv?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Using a monitor as a TV is fine, but using a TV as a monitor is not. The quality of a TV is perfectly good for watching shows and movies, but not up to snuff for use with a computer.

However, there's no need to buy an Apple display unless you're especially affluent or are a professional that needs perfect image quality. Any computer monitor will work fine for the purpose.

8. matperk macrumors 6502

I think the best solution would be to get a 24" display for your mac (I usually recommend dell's displays for cost and quality). Now, there are two ways you can go about it from there to get TV on the display.

1. If you don't mind having to have the mac hooked up to watch TV, get a TV tuner for your mac (elgato makes the best ones). If you go this route, get the current dell 24" displays, the 2409 I believe, which goes for around $329.

2. You could go for a dell 2407WFP or a 2408WFP which cost more, but they have the analog inputs that runplaysleeprun was talking about, and you could hook up a VCR or DVR as another input on the monitor

I think the first option is the best because you can have TV up then while you're surfing or set the mac to record TV. You just can't unhook the mac if you want to watch or record TV.

9. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Alright! Maybe I can boost to a 27" display, and have the best of both worlds.

Besides the Dell, what 27" monitor I should be looking at?

Again, thanks a lot for your answers

10. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I have been reading about people having difficulties connecting for example a PS3 to their monitors. Will this be the start to a lot of problems trying to have one display that would suit both the mac and tv?

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What kind of difficulties?

I don't foresee any problems.

12. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

13. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I have a 22" Samsung TV monitor/tuner that the person posted a link to on newegg. Love it, works great. And the best part is that it has a DTV tuner built in, so I can watch all my local channels in HD. I would suggest going this route if you want a good television, and a great monitor. The best part is it also supports 1080p for my Xbox 360 and PS3

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001278
    that is exactly what I have... and I paid $399 for it in August :(
    Here is a pic of my dorm setup:apple:

Attached Files: