What's the best solution for keeping out intruders?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erkanasu, Jun 28, 2011.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

A friend recommended peer guardian, but this looks to be abandoned judging from their site.

I want 2 things

1) Most importantly, I want 100% protection from people accessing my maboookpro while I'm on unsecured connections at coffee shops and

2) Less important, If I download torrents for my ISP to not be able to track me.

Is there a gold standard software suite for this or does 10.6 have this built in effectively (by default?)

thanks for any help!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Turn off file sharing, disable the Guest account, and use a good account password.
    Your ISP is going to know what you're downloading regardless. It's their pipes going into your computer, so they can tell what's traveling to you unless the server you're downloading from encrypts all traffic.

3. lfc macrumors regular

All torrent clients (all good ones anyway) let you choose an option to prefer encrypted peers or to only connect to encrypted peers. In transmission the options are "Prefer encrypted peers" and "ignore unencrypted peers". Transmission also has a block list right under those settings that does a similar thing to what Peer Guardian did.

4. LynnW macrumors member

5. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

6. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a good idea. Use stealth mode (Advanced).

8. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that turn my computer's cloak?