What's the best SSD drive for a Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brosenz, Apr 26, 2011.

1. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

After some research my top 3 sorted options are:

1.- OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
    2.- Intel X25-M 120GB
    3.- Samsung 470 Series 128GB

I will be using it as my boot drive for Mac OS X 10.6.7, any suggestion which one would be the best option for speed ?, thanks

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

Why not the OWC ones ?
    115 gig about $220
    Other models available but about any sandforce would be my choice
    Or the vertex 2

3. JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

These are ok value for money options, try not to go with the OCz though if this article is anything to go by:

http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd%E2%80%99s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

OWC, Micron\Crucial and Intel are the best brands and use the most quality components. With OWC being better than the Micron\Crucial which uses a slower Marvell Controller.

4. brosenz thread starter macrumors regular

brosenz

Thank you, another VERY IMPORTANT variable for me is to be able to upgrade the Firmware of the SSD over time, do you know if OWC provides that option ?, also do you know is the OWC SSDs have the TRIM option ?

5. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

6. brosenz thread starter macrumors regular

brosenz

I've been researching some of the OCZ PCI solutions (much cheaper of course) and I doubt I will be able to boot in Mac Pro with that card, is that true ?

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Why would you think that? If you have the correct PCIe slot, it should allow you to boot from it. A quick email to their tech support might allow you know for sure.

HOWEVER! If you're thinking about the cheaper versions, look at their transfer speeds. Only PCI solutions which offer a clear speed enhancement over SATA 2 or 3 should be bought. Why waste a PCI slot if a SATA drive has the same performance (assuming you have more SATA slots available than PCI slots)?

8. strausd macrumors 68030

I have a 120GB OWC SSD and everything is working great. And FYI, SSD stand for Solid State Drive, no need to say solid state drive drive ;)

9. 100Years macrumors regular

I'm running two Apple (Toshiba) SSDs, and an OWC Mercury Extreme; not the fastest out there, but plenty fast enough for my needs.

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I don't think there is a "best".

I've been using the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB in my MP and it's been 100% stable (zero sleep issues) and hasn't slowed down in 8+ months of use.

cheers
    JohnG

11. mrt209 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty happy with my OWC. Has sleep issues, but apparently its been fixed, just haven't had time to update the firmware.