Whats the best superdrive to put in a 13.3" macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kreator, Nov 26, 2008.

1. kreator macrumors newbie

I currently have the stock drive that can only burn CDs etc. I want to put a new drive in it, because I have been burning dual layer DVDs on another machine and I won't have access to it much longer. From what I have seen the UJ-857-C drive will fit in my drive and burn dual layer DVDs. I haven't been able to find much info on replacement drives via google so I am wondering is that the best/most stable drive available?

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

im planning on taking my macbook to the apple store and ask them to upgrade my drive to a superdrive, cuz i dont want to open my mac, but i dunno what the model name or whatever your looking for sorry

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Check this one out at iFixit. It should work just fine, and they have the guide to install it.

4. kreator thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, looks like the one on that site is indeed a UJ-857-C. I will just ebay it and save myself a ton of money.

5. pscraig macrumors member

If you REALLY want to pay $150 for a drive that's fine, but most Pioneer drives work just fine and show up as Apple Shipped/Supported and support burning from all applications. I am writing this on a 1st gen Macbook I upgraded with a Pioneer DVR-K06 drive I bought for $70.

The installation will be identical to any other drive as the form factor is the same.