What's the best text editor these days?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Oct 29, 2014.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm starting to code again after a couple years of hiatus... I'm instinctively going back to Textmate, but I know there's Sublime Text, BBEdit, etc, these days, and they've all been recently updated. I like shortcuts, syntax highlighting, and direct server integration for quickly pushing changes, if possible!

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi there,

Personally I tend to use TextWrangler - from the same stable as BBEdit, but free.

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

I started using it with the mindset that I'd use it until I found something that it couldn't do that I needed, and then I'd think about shelling out for its big brother BBEdit. I've been using it for the best part of 5 years and that day hasn't come yet!

I tend to use it for writing shell scripts, simple HTML/PHP and occasional manual editing of XML files. It's more than adequate for that.

Hope that's of some help!

3. blipmusic macrumors regular

Sublime Text 3 with Package Control, perhaps? Very nice editor and plenty fast.

Then install the sftp plugin (haven't tried but I assume that's what you meant) via Package Control.

Both sublime text and the sftp plug-in are commercial, though.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

A vote for BBEdit here. Was a big UltraEdit user on the Windows side, looks like they've ported that to Mac now but I haven't tried the Mac flavor: http://www.ultraedit.com/

5. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

Big vote for Sublime Text 3 as mentioned above.

• Extremely stable, even with very large files
    • Tons of keyboard shortcuts for common text-related manipulation
    • Its ever growing plugin library makes it adapt to nearly any language / project type
    • Community support - you have so many tutorial posts, videos, or contributors supporting you

Bit of context - I switched from Textmate a few years back. I am a developer who has 3-4 node/drupal/angular projects open at a given time. Sublime is a lifesaver.