What's the best texting app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jps1012, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

What's the best texting app? Is there any where u can just use your current #? Thanks!

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Nothing will allow you to use your existing number. Other than by using the Apple Messages app which will cost you through AT&T.

There are plenty of apps though.

TextNow and Textie are the two that I used to use.

I currently run a setup with Google Voice so that I do actually have a standard texting number and that's linked back to my Google Talk account and I use Trillian to send and receive texts to my Google Voice account.

Anyone who wants to send picture messages gets told to text my phone directly. So I still have the 200 texts/mo plan. But it's a far cry from dealing with the $20/mo for unlimited texting.

3. vettori macrumors 6502a

What are exactly the features you want ? With iOS4 apps can send texts; for example my app Group Text! uses this feature (link in signature).

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Whatsapp functions over the data connection but seamlessly creates an account with your phone number. Your text partner has to have whatsapp, but there's no user registration; it's all done automatically. Of course, if the OP meant if there's a way to replace the stock text app and get texts that other people try to send normally, no, there isn't.

5. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I have been using kik, as a messenger app with some friends on blackberry. But I am looking for something to use for cheaper sms texting besides AT&T. Something where the other person doesn't need the same app.

Some I am looking at is:

-Whatsapp (not sure if that has sms that the other person doesnt need the app)
    -TextNow Unlimited
    -Text free unlimited
    -iTim Text Free

Please let me know what u think. I don't know much about these. Thanks!

Does What

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I quite like TextFree Unlimited. They give you a phone number to use, which is nice, and it's fairly well designed. On occasions, when data reception is poor, it will have trouble sending texts, but that's not typical.

I've been very pleased.

7. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks I will try it.

8. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is it completely free?

9. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks ! I did what u did (text now + google voice account) so far its good.

10. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Edit: Ignore this since you went Google Voice + TextNow. Which I think is your best bet. Enjoy it.

11. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

What about an app that works internationally?

With Text free can you text international numbers too? I'd understand if the international person is charged a fee for receiving the international text but possible to send?