Whats the best torrent or download program for mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dougens, Jun 6, 2008.

1. dougens macrumors member

dougens

I recently switched to mac from pc and love it

the one drawback i've found is downloading torrents.

having looked on the net i found that azureus is regarded as the fastest (despite its cpu load) to use.

however, my average download speed is 20kb/s and upload 10kb/s where with windows on the same setting and the same internet speed i was getting up to 30mb/s on both upload and download!!!

at first i set my upload download limit to unlimited but now have it at 1.1mb/s and still no joy!

can anyone give me another alternative program or aid me on how to increase the speed of downloads.at the minute it is a joke.......

thanks for help
    :)

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

transmission gives me about 10-30MB on average. Your speeds are abnormally low i suspect there is something else wrong with your setup.

3. dougens thread starter macrumors member

dougens

thanks for swift reply.i have checked settings and all seem fine.
    i will look at transmission as well.thing is i don't actually know if my setting are fine!!!!ah well.ill just keep experimenting.

4. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I find Transmission and Xtorrent to be the only ones worth using.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Transmision works great if your ISP doesn't block torrent activities.

Otherwise Azureus allows encryption that will bypass ISP torrent restrictions (but you have to set certain settings).

Try Transmission.

6. dougens thread starter macrumors member

dougens

how do you know if your isp blocks torrent activities?
    how do you get the encryption in azureus that bypasses this?is it in settings?

sorry for ignorance,thanks

7. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Azureus is my favorite. I have comcast and I think they are traffic shaping (curtailing unencrypted bit torrent use). I even paid for Transmission and still never really had any luck with it (mistake).

After I set up the encryption with Azureus my downloads started to fly.

If your downloads or uploads are really slow, or start out fast and then get slow, then you know that your ISP is blocking or throttling your bittorrent. But if you have a Windows machine on the same network with no issues, then that's probably not the source of the problem.

The encryption in Azureus is easily enabled in one of the settings.

8. quaddaemon macrumors newbie

Try Bitcomet or BitTorrent.. so far they're the next best thing to Azureus based on my experience.. I like downloading Korean Films like Sassy Girl, Windstruck etc. etc. so I know .. heheh Hope it helps ..

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Azureus is the same as the Windows version, so I don't know why your download speeds differ unless you have very different network settings on your Mac and different Azureus settings too. Of course there are so many factors that contribute to the speed of torrents — are you sure you haven't just got a slow one?

I have had really good luck with Transmission lately, but if you need the extra flexibility, Azureus is still the way to go.

Also, do you know what your download/upload speeds from your ISP are supposed to be? If you don't cap the upload speed at least a little bit from max it will choke your connection.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One main thing is that you might need to forward ports used by torrent to your computer.

If your ISP is throttling, you would know it because overall speed is slow, also, sometimes you cannot seed.
    http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-bypass-comcast-bittorrent-throttling-071021/

In AZ:
    Open preferences,
    Mode: change user profiency to Advanced
    Connection: Transport Encryption, and check the things the article mentioned

11. CultusFiend macrumors newbie

Try BitRocket. I've found that to be my favorite, and I liked it better than Transmission and Azereus.

12. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Use azureus, but be sure to download the Pre-VUZE version from sourceforge. It will be a 2.5ish version.