Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I'm coming to the realization that I need a keyboard for my iPad Air if I want to use it as a laptop replacement. I'm looking for something basic that would work on my lap. I'm not in a rush to buy something and I know more and more choices will be released In the coming months. Any recommends of a particular type of case such as folio or clamshell or hard cover?

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
I'm coming to the realization that I need a keyboard for my iPad Air if I want to use it as a laptop replacement. I'm looking for something basic that would work on my lap. I'm not in a rush to buy something and I know more and more choices will be released In the coming months. Any recommends of a particular type of case such as folio or clamshell or hard cover?

Now that I've had it and used it for a few hours, actually even written a short essay using it, I have to say I recommend this New Trent Airbender 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ET9YYS2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I typed with it a bit on my lap, and quite honestly it found it comfortable. Admittedly, I was seated in an upright position on the couch, but I can't really imagine wanting a physical keyboard in any other position lol

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the info. That's a good price for the combo. Can you easily slip your iPad into and out of the case? I have a Smart Cover I would still like to use when I don't have it attached to the keyboard.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
y4epuhas.jpg

My current setup with Logitech Ultrathin Cover

aerialdreams

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Hey Epiphron, is that the new logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for the ipad air, or is that the old one for ipad 2/3/4? If it's the old one, does it work/fit well with the air? If it's the new one, how do you like it? Does it fit well/can there be a back cover on it?

jelt2359

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
Interested in the logitech too, but for table use. On the go I'm planning to just rock a Smart Cover+ touchfire. Table use, however, can be a great laptop replacement :)

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Hey Epiphron, is that the new logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for the ipad air, or is that the old one for ipad 2/3/4? If it's the old one, does it work/fit well with the air? If it's the new one, how do you like it? Does it fit well/can there be a back cover on it?

This is the new one for air. i had one for the previous ipads and this one does feel improved (e.g. higher quality magnetic hinge, things feel ironed out). One thing that's slightly irksome is the apostrophe button is half the size of a normal button on this one. strange decision :confused:

however i don't think you can fit a back cover on it. maybe look for the logitech keyboard folio.. i really like the sleek feel without the bulk of a back cover :p

jelt2359

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
This is the new one for air. i had one for the previous ipads and this one does feel improved (e.g. higher quality magnetic hinge, things feel ironed out). One thing that's slightly irksome is the apostrophe button is half the size of a normal button on this one. strange decision :confused:

however i don't think you can fit a back cover on it. maybe look for the logitech keyboard folio.. i really like the sleek feel without the bulk of a back cover :p

How's the weight compared to previous iterations?

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Thanks for the info. That's a good price for the combo. Can you easily slip your iPad into and out of the case? I have a Smart Cover I would still like to use when I don't have it attached to the keyboard.

Yea, you can slip it in and out of the case with ease. And the nice thing is the case has a little plastic cover over the apple logo cutout on the back so that you can rotate its orientation on the stand with ease without fear of scratching the back

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Yea, you can slip it in and out of the case with ease. And the nice thing is the case has a little plastic cover over the apple logo cutout on the back so that you can rotate its orientation on the stand with ease without fear of scratching the back

Very nice. I'm going to see if I can pick one up locally.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
How's the weight compared to previous iterations?

about the same
Also one big difference is the magnetic hinge is much much stronger now.. so much so that there's an audible bang as it attaches to the ipad. looks like logitech's listening to it's customers since the previous one was prone to detaching

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.