What's the best video card for the current MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bmode, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Bmode macrumors regular

I did a search in the forum looking for current video card reviews, but I couldn't find one, so my question is what is the best video card for the current line of MacPro's?

I currently have the ATI Radeon HD2600 that shipped with this Mac, but I'm looking for more power and custom ability! I read so many articles on the web that I'm extremely confused. I wish there was a website that stated the obvious: If you have this mac, these cards will work with your configuration, period! I'd pay for a site like that! Any thoughts anyone?

2. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

IMHO I would say that the Geforce 8800GT is the best video card for the current Mac Pro. Some people may say that the Radeon 3870 is better, but I still think that the 8800 has an edge over ATI's new card. I am also biased because I have an 8800 in my Mac Pro :p

3. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I think you need to be a little more specific, what exactly do you need more power for? I have the same card but do ZERO gaming so it has plenty of oomph for me; while the 512MB NVidia looked like a cheap upgrade, I'd read that the ATI is built better for photography and graphic design which is where I work in.

4. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Your right, my bad. My main apps used are Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, DVD Studio Pro, and multi-track audio recordings, so I need the best possible.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

The 3870 has an edge over 8800 with everything but gaming.

6. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo