Whats the best way to clean the finger pringts off of my new black MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamb110, Mar 12, 2008.

1. lamb110 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I just bought my new MacBook on Sunday and have fallen in love. The only problem... the finger prints. Whats the best way of cleaning them off without hurting my precious new gadget?

2. 36183 Guest

You mean form the screen right ? my sister recently got a macbook and hers is covered in finger prints. My best peice of advice would be not avoid touching the screen. I have some iklear wipes, I'll try it on my sisters macbook later and let you know how it goes.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A damp washcloth. Do not use any chemicals, only water.

TEG

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the soft black cloth that came with the macbook works perfectly.

5. lamb110 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that. Actually my screen doesnt have any finger prints on it, its more of the case that I am talking about. The soft black cloth they give you works for the screen, but not the case. I guess I'll dampen it with a little water and see if that works.

I cant believe that I miss spelled prints in the title...

6. toby jones macrumors member

I have the same problem.

I brought a lens cleaning cloth for the screen, and some screen cleaning spray for the screen (works perfectly). The black cleaning cloth that comes with the mac also works perfectly (or did) but I think I need to give it a bit of a wash...

With respect to cleaning fingerprints off the case / trackpad / keys if you dampen a teatowel (that is a non-linting kind of one) then that works pretty well indeed.

As for the accumulation of oils over time...

I haven't tried this yet... But I figure at some point I'll try putting a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid in a bowl of water and use that to dampen the tea towel. Maybe sunlight so it will be squeaky clean.

I should emphasise that I haven't tried that yet. If anyone thinks that is a terrible idea then maybe I won't do it. I guess I could try using the lens cleaning spray on the actual computer (instead of just the screen). That could work...

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Step 1. Go to the Apple Store

Step 2. Go to the Accessories Section

Step 3. Buy iKlear Apple Polish

Step 4. Have a clean and happy PB, iB, MB, MBP, ipod, iPhone, etc...

Or if you prefer to save yourself the trip...
    http://www.klearscreen.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=115

Have a nice day!

8. toby jones macrumors member

So...

Just so I'm clear...

You would advocate using screen cleaner on the case (keys trackpad etc) of the Macbook?

9. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It does a great job, and it hasn't worn down anything, and all the keys and trackpad still work. It's a lot cheaper, and it does a good job. Just make sure that your Mac is off, and unplugged. I wouldn't suggest it on the ports or, the bottom (who cares about the bottom? Nobody really sees it...) but it does great for the top, and the keys. I would NOT use it on the screen either. Hope this helps!

10. toby jones macrumors member

why would you use it on the top but not the bottom?
    (wouldn't the bottom be made of the same plastic or whatever as the top??)

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Just listen!

Get iKlear and use it for everything. Thats what it's made for!

12. erijane macrumors newbie

same issue here -> a damp wash cloth didn't work as well as i hoped it would! Throw me hints

13. toby jones macrumors member

I wouldn't expect that a damp washcloth would remove the oils from your fingers (everyones got it no matter how much you wash your hands).

I'm very tempted indeed by the little bit of dishwashing liquid in the water you use to dampen the cloth idea. I wouldn't use so much of it that the water would be sudsy, just a little so that it cuts through the grease, basically. I'd be absolutely astounded if the plastic wasn't robust enough to cope with that. I mean... They use quality plastic, I'm sure, and dishwashing liquid needs to be gentle enough to be non-toxic (which suggests it isn't going to be too acidic or something like that). Though I do appreciate we are talking about aesthetics and we aren't going to be licking the macbook. I mean... It isn't like the black is painted on or anything... Be astounded if a little dishwashing liquid discoloured it...