What's the best way to go about selling an iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BadlyDrawnGirl, Nov 7, 2007.

1. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new laptop, but having heard of how supposedly great Apple's resale value is, I was wondering if I'd be able to get any money for my iBook G4 purchased in 2005. It's not the fastest thing in the world (1.3Ghz, 512MB ram) but it's not a piece of crap either. Would I be able to get anything back for it and what would be the best way to sell it - i.e. Craigslist, Ebay, or just to a computer shop for parts?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

This one?

is the yogurt included?

3. odagled macrumors member

LOL. Owned

4. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

If you want it, you're welcome to it. ;)

The yogurt got on the keyboard only, and thanks to the iBook's marvelous capability to have its keyboard swapped out easily, I'd just replace it before selling it off. I managed to minimize the damage with my lightning-quick reflexes and lots of iKlear. The thing runs fine, just a bit too slowly for my taste.

Don't you mean "p0wned"? Or "owned!!!!!!!!1"? Or, oh hell, I can't keep track of you kids' newfangled slang these days.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Well, you can start by posting in the Macbook/MBP forum and not in here.

:rolleyes:

6. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Jeez, my apologies man! The two are next to each other in the tiny dropdown menu and I obviously clicked on the wrong one. Simple mistake dude, no need to get snotty or start rolling your eyes at me. I'll be on my way then...

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

We don't like your kind around here.:rolleyes:

8. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

I hope you had a cowboy hat and a six-shooter in your hand when you said that. Otherwise it just wouldn't be the same.

9. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

you'll get the most for it on ebay.

Swap the keyboard like you said, give it a goooood cleaning and make sure you take some nice photos (the best auctions have multiple photos) wipe the drive and take some photos of it on and such as well... get a nice detailed listing and I bet you'll easily get about 500 for that.

I just bought a 1.2 4 ibook on there for 450 and it seemed like I got a pretty good deal. I've seen them go for as much as 700.

So yeah... with a good auction set up I would expect you to get 500 easily.

On here you will probably pull in a little less.

gl!

10. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Ooh a real reply! Thanks. :D Yeah, as I said, the machine is pretty much immaculate except for the sticky keyboard incident, and I've already replaced keyboards on friends' iBooks so I could do it in about five seconds. It's just too slow for the sorts of things I want to do with it now, but would be great for a high school student or even college student just wanting basic word processing and web browsing capabilities.

Also, I discovered a while back that THE best cleaning product for white iBooks is a little square of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is the only thing I have ever found that gets off those ingrained black smudges you get where your hands rest below the keyboard. Scrubbed up properly, I bet my machine could look close to new (except the minor monitor-peeling-away-from-the-hinge issue which seems to be what happens to all iBooks eventually).

I was considering selling it over here in NZ just because Apple products are HUGELY expensive and I thought I might get a bit more money for it, but I would probably get more bids on Ebay than on TradeMe (the Kiwi version of Ebay) so I'll probably just wait until I get back to the States.

Thanks for the advice. :)

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are just that, MAGIC. I don't know how they work, I don't want to know how they work, all that I do know is that they are the only thing that can get rid of the MacBook discoloration, and help to keep my keys as shine-free as possible (they all get shined from use, so nothing will keep them perfect)

12. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

I think it's because the active ingredient is formaldehyde...but hey, whatever does the job. ;)