What's the best way to install Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flynnstone, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I want to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my 1.8 SP G5.
    My kids all have their own accounts. One of the kids has two accounts because of some problem with it. If you try to login to the account, you get a blue screen and it sits there effectively locking up the computer. Her other account has some issues too.
    I have a new hard drive, so Leopard can be installed on it.
    I don't want to bring across the "pollution" from Tiger.

Do I :
    1) install Leopard on the new drive, then create the accounts manually, then copy across only the info needed.

2) archive install. Not sure what happens here

3) other ideas?

Are there others with this predicament?
    any help will be appreciated.

Tim

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'd do option one, personally. Sometimes it's nice to get a fresh, clean start.

Moving across user files and applications won't be much of a hassle and you'll have a known-good install.

3. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

#1 seems like the cleanest, but what about "mail on my mac"?
    Any other "gotchas" with this method?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

backup the mail folder in your user library. to import it into a fresh leopard "import mailboxes" in mails file menu.

also only backup your preferences as your kids accounts are not behaving. do this by backing up the preferences folder in your home library. you could also backup the application support folder in your home library and main library which would help your apps if you back them up. and then the usual music, docs, movies etc.

oh and you can backup your contacts and calendars by selecting "back up..." in their respective file menus. then just double click on the created backup file when in leopard to restore.