What's the best way to keep clean your Mac? (Hardware-wise)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rockoar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Before you say anything: I'm asking hardware-wise which is the best way to keep clean your Mac? I don't mean any software, I mean actually keep clean your Mac, like the keyboard, screen, etc.

I'm asking because my screen looks a little bit dirty (even tho I try to keep my MBP as clean as I can...) and even tho I tried to use the cleaning cloth that came with it that doesn't seem to remove the dirt. Is it safe to use a wet cloth? (obviously not wet but a cloth with a little bit of water) to clean the screen? or what product would you recommend me to use? and for the rest of the computer? Any help regarding this will be appreciated :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Just use a lint free microfiber and some cleaning solution. I use a lens cleaner on my screens and it works fine on keyboards as well.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Your MacBook should have come with a microfiber cloth which is recommended for use when cleaning it. If you have misplaced it they can be purchased at most retail stores.

I would not go for any marketed product or solution for cleaning - not that they are not genuine products, it's just that water works fine. Use filtered or bottled water as there is speculation that chemicals in regular tap water can damage the screen - not sure if that has ever been reported or not. Simply dampen your microfiber cloth if the spot is not easily lifted away, and be careful not to soak it or use too much water.

5. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

has anyone opened the bottom case of the rMBP to vacuum the inside? Will this void the warranty?

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You probably should not use a Vacuum, the force it creates could probably damage some of the internals.

If you need to remove dust from the inside of the computer, try using some standard canned air appropriately.

7. ryane67 macrumors member

Ive already done this, at only a month old it had a bit of buildup. I think next time I'll just try thru the vents though.

8. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

where was the bulk of the build up? thanks

9. ryane67 macrumors member

most was actually on the bottom panel.

10. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try plain and simple water then -with all the necessary precautions- :)

11. IllmasterMath macrumors regular

A vacuum would not be an issue because of the force of suction, but it would generate static electricity and static electricity is bad, mmkay. Use a can of compressed 'air', that's what it's for.

12. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Same here. A Seiko nano-loop micro fiber cloth with eyeglass cleaner. Works as a charm.

Avoid tap-water on your screen. It leaves residue an calc

13. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I just use a microfiber cloth used to clean cars. It works great and don't need to use anything else.

14. polotska macrumors 6502

Yes, the problem with water is that it tends to leave streaks behind when wiped dry, and it evaporates less quickly than a good cleaning solution. I’ve had this result with distilled water, too, so I don’t think it’s just the mineral content of the water that’s at fault.

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Cascade. Be sure to use Jetdry in the rinse cycle and leave the clam shell open. ;)