What's the best way to keep clean your Mac? (Hardware-wise)

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Paris (France)
Before you say anything: I'm asking hardware-wise which is the best way to keep clean your Mac? I don't mean any software, I mean actually keep clean your Mac, like the keyboard, screen, etc.

I'm asking because my screen looks a little bit dirty (even tho I try to keep my MBP as clean as I can...) and even tho I tried to use the cleaning cloth that came with it that doesn't seem to remove the dirt. Is it safe to use a wet cloth? (obviously not wet but a cloth with a little bit of water) to clean the screen? or what product would you recommend me to use? and for the rest of the computer? Any help regarding this will be appreciated :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Before you say anything: I'm asking hardware-wise which is the best way to keep clean your Mac? I don't mean any software, I mean actually keep clean your Mac, like the keyboard, screen, etc.

I'm asking because my screen looks a little bit dirty (even tho I try to keep my MBP as clean as I can...) and even tho I tried to use the cleaning cloth that came with it that doesn't seem to remove the dirt. Is it safe to use a wet cloth? (obviously not wet but a cloth with a little bit of water) to clean the screen? or what product would you recommend me to use? and for the rest of the computer? Any help regarding this will be appreciated :)
Just use a lint free microfiber and some cleaning solution. I use a lens cleaner on my screens and it works fine on keyboards as well.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Your MacBook should have come with a microfiber cloth which is recommended for use when cleaning it. If you have misplaced it they can be purchased at most retail stores.

I would not go for any marketed product or solution for cleaning - not that they are not genuine products, it's just that water works fine. Use filtered or bottled water as there is speculation that chemicals in regular tap water can damage the screen - not sure if that has ever been reported or not. Simply dampen your microfiber cloth if the spot is not easily lifted away, and be careful not to soak it or use too much water.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
has anyone opened the bottom case of the rMBP to vacuum the inside? Will this void the warranty?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
has anyone opened the bottom case of the rMBP to vacuum the inside? Will this void the warranty?
You probably should not use a Vacuum, the force it creates could probably damage some of the internals.

If you need to remove dust from the inside of the computer, try using some standard canned air appropriately.

ryane67

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
You probably should not use a Vacuum, the force it creates could probably damage some of the internals.

If you need to remove dust from the inside of the computer, try using some standard canned air appropriately.
Ive already done this, at only a month old it had a bit of buildup. I think next time I'll just try thru the vents though.

IllmasterMath

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
A vacuum would not be an issue because of the force of suction, but it would generate static electricity and static electricity is bad, mmkay. Use a can of compressed 'air', that's what it's for.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I just use a microfiber cloth used to clean cars. It works great and don't need to use anything else.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Yes, the problem with water is that it tends to leave streaks behind when wiped dry, and it evaporates less quickly than a good cleaning solution. I’ve had this result with distilled water, too, so I don’t think it’s just the mineral content of the water that’s at fault.