What's the best way to make an ATV into a DVR?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mr1970, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mr1970 macrumors member

So - got my ATV about 4 weeks ago and it's just fantastic, much more than we'd expected. We have so many CDs that we'd moved them out of the living room and so that ended up impacting how we actually listen to music - it was an effort to go to another room so easier to just put the TV on; with the ATV in place we're listening to far more music (which is on the iTunes server in the study) and watching less TV - so, good news all round.

What this means is that it's effectively replaced our CD player. It was a pretty good bit of kit so I'm sure I'm not getting the full audiophile experience, particularly where I haven't ripped to lossless yet, but it's good enough.

Now what I'd like to do is to have it replace my DVR too - another ugly black box (Humax) and I have a theory that there should be something doable with an Elgato tuner and possibly a bigger ATV HDD. I've found a few sites with instructions, all of which are moderately complex but I'm up for having a go. My question is whether anyone here has any experience doing this, and whether there's anything I might want to watch out for? Any good experiences? Any disasters?

Many thanks in advance...

2. emeraldthree macrumors newbie

Atv=dvr

Haven't done it but I want to. What websites have directions? Can you give a link?

3. mr1970 thread starter macrumors member