What's the best way to manage multiple back-ups in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LordJim, Apr 23, 2012.

1. LordJim macrumors newbie

My current set-up consists of an old MBP that I leave plugged in to a 1TB drive that holds all of my media. I also have an MBA that I primarily use for browsing and working, but all media is relegated to the MBP and the external, wall power-tethered drive.

Now, I just received a WD "My Passport" to provide another backup and to take the aforementioned media with me when I leave the house with the MBA, so I'm wondering about the best way to keep both of these drives "current" (I regularly add new music). The only way I can think of doing this is by managing them separately, but I feel like there's a more efficient way of doing this.

Should I bother with the pre-installed WD software, or just use the OS X Disk Utility? What's the best way to keep my respective iTunes libraries synched up? I purchase most of my music from Amazon, unfortunately.

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For that purpose, I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner. Much simpler and easier to set up than just using Disk Utility, and will be smarter about it too (only copying things that need to be updated). Just have them regularly clone back and forth, depending on how you're going to manage the files (always add to one and then copy to the other, for instance).

jW

3. LordJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the recommendation! The only thing I'm confused about is how the cloning process affects new files added to the "destination" drive (as opposed to the source). The settings are confusing...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why is it confusing? It explains exactly what each backup option does...