What's the best way to tag b-roll?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thejadedmonkey, Sep 13, 2010.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

We recently started getting a lot of b-roll for an internship I'm working at. We have Final Cut Studio, an HD camera, and now, lots and lots of b-roll. What's the best way to keep track of it all? I thought I heard there was a program within the final cut suite that could allow you to tag video footage, but I can't seem to find it...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could create a separate BIN and drag the clips with B-Roll footage into it. I don't know about that FCP "application" though, maybe it has something to do with setting locators/markers at the appropriate place.

The green label is set to be used for B-Roll footage, page 398 on the FCP 7 manual PDF.
    http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Good go, but that wasn't it. Someone mentioned it to me in passing, a few years ago... I wish I could remember who or what. If i find anything I'll post back, in case anyone else has this question.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does that feature work automatically?

Maybe have a look at CreativeCow, as there are many more users of FCP in there or the Apple Discussions Forum.

5. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll definitely take a look at CreativeCow. I think what I was thinking of was Final Cut Server though, which I don't have and can't use :(

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What apps do you have at your disposal, how many people need access to the footage and/or logs, and can you purchase 3rd party apps?

One option is to ingest everything into a 'mother' project and then copy/paste media out of the mother project into the individual work projects as needed. The idea behind the mother project is that it gives you one project that has all of the media located with in it. Not that very useful though if multiple people need to access it and not everyone has FCP. If multiple people need access to the logs then you'll need to make a spreadsheet database (Excel, File Maker, etc.,) that will have to be kept up-to-date w/the mother project.

If 3rd party apps is an option I have heard great things about CatDV. I think FCS would be like using a bulldozer to crush an ant in this case. ;)

Lethal

7. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

When I was researching metadata tagging for my company I came across HD Log from Imagine. It seemed pretty robust but I haven't actually seen it in use. It allows for single or multiple users...
    www.imagineproducts.com

8. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge