Whats the best...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

what is an optimum hard drive for just the os? have a 30gb with tiger installed and apps.

all the other folders for media i moved to another hard drive. time pas passed and i have gotten a quite a few apps, x11 developer stuff, and now it leaves only about 9gb. i cleaned it up some using "whatsize.app" but i remember reading somehwere that an os hd runs best at half free space due to virtual memory etc.

im thinking about using carbon copy or something to relocate my os disk onto a bigger physical disk. i don't want to go to big because ive heard that can make it run slower. is that true?

...and if i sound confused feel free to correct me. thanx!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of computer do you have?

If you have a iMac, I would get a 1TB HDD. If you have a Mac Pro, I would get 3 300GB VelociRaptors and put them in RAID 5.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

IIRC correctly, a full Tiger install, even w/ all the extra printer drivers, languages (which 95% of users don't need anyways) and X11 etc only took about 4-6GB.....so having 9GB free would be plenty to allow for VM.......

However, a good cleaning to get rid of old, outdated and/or unused crap never hurts. And moving your media and docs to another HD is a good strategy too.

If you really feel that you want a bigger drive, don't worry about the size slowing down your system....in fact, most newer, large capacity drives nowadays are, by virtue of technological advances, way faster than any older 30GB could ever hope to be, so go for it :)

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Newer hard drives are actually faster, so just use carbon copy cloner and relocated the hd onto a bigger one. It will not be slower, but faster.

5. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

alphapod
    i have a quicksilver powermac, i have updated my sig box.

is there a HD size limit with my model?

smurfboxmasta
    i just feel that my system has slowed down significantly. i feel like if i could reclaim hd space it would speed up again. i hadn't noticed the slowdown until after installing a few programs.roughly all within a few days.

i'm getting a 300gb hd soon. will it REQUIRE partition for a qs powermac? because i might just do some reordering of where data is stored. and my os onto the 110gb. the 150gb drive was partitioned because it was originally on my old dp450 powermac and hi-cap drivers were needed...

snowleopard2008
    thanx, and same question posed to the above 2 posters; will my quicksilver recognize any size hd?

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The 1st generation QS did NOT support drives over 128GB, so if you wanna use all of the capacity of a bigger drive, you will need a pci controller card :)