What's the big deal about touch screen macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WannaGoMac, Jun 18, 2007.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Why are people so excited about touch screen macs. Touch screens were on some computers during the 1980s and the things never got above novelty status.

How is touch screen a better interface given that I have a mouse and now I will have to move my hand from the mouse (or keyboard) to the screen to interact? Seems like a very slow and awkward way to work IMHO.

What's the big deal/benefit that is getting everyone so excited other than it is just cool??

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I am with you on this one. I would hate to own a touch screen iMac, I just don't want one. I don't see what all the hype is about either.

3. mkgm1 macrumors regular

I could see the advantage in touch-screen Macbooks, or perhaps a smaller 12" MB/MBP, for students etc. I know I'd be tempted - it'd be so much easier to take notes on an electronic medium by hand. I mean you already have basic gadgets that do that, like the Digimemo's, but they're hardly brilliant.

But touch-screen iMac's seem pointless to me too.

4. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.
    I mean... then you're screen is always going to be dirty, lol.
    Touch screen is great for you know.... resturant computers... and buying a metro card.... and.... perhaps the iphone.... but a personal computer is just easier to use with a mouse, no matter how cool the touch technology is.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

For 99% of the world a touchscreen isnt needed at all. Maybe Apple wants to sell more screens, if you poke it long enough you know it will look like crap and need replacing.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Because some people need novelty in their lives. I would no more want to spend all day pointing with my finger than I would want to spend 8 hours talking at my machine. Now on an ultra-portable, PDA-like machine this would be a different story.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The only way I could see a touch screen in a mac would be as a keyboard. A dual screen MB(P) or the Apple keyboard is just a touch screen, sorta like that, what is it called, "optimus" keyboard. But generally there are places where touch screens are useful, and places where they aren't and would be a bother anyway. Even if there was a touch screen Mac, I'd only buy it if it was a laptop, and even that is risky. There are lots of things that we want, but when they are given real though, it's just impractical (the clapper? the Zune? etc...)

8. Counter macrumors 6502

I don't believe we will see them. Period. And I definitely wouldn't want one.

9. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I agree. Maybe a touch volume up and down, or touch power button, but no way will there be a full touch iMac. Dumb.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wow. You guys have pitiful imaginations.

I want it so I can do this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Nvk7_dLclI

And I'm sure Apple can come up some neat things as well. It'd be stupid to make touch screen the ONLY interface; you could still use a mouse if you wanted; but some really need touchscreen apps could evolve.

Watch that video though and you'll understand why I want one.

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I haven't heard any news on touch screens. I doubt that many care for them.

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

Wouldn't another MR forum be more appropriate for this thread than the Buying Tips one?