What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKoopa, Feb 6, 2011.

1. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

What is the all of this hullabaloo over the Verizon iPhone? It's the SAME phone, with a different network, a network you still have to pay for. If it doesn't have any new features, why is everyone so excited...

2. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Same reason why AT&T users were excited for the iPhone 4 back in June... because they were finally going to have their hands on it! After years of "It's coming to Verizon!" accompanied with "Nevermind." again and again... now it'll be in the past and we can have an iPhone of our own.

3. RSMatt macrumors newbie

Do you not remember that wait before you got YOUR first iPhone? I mean, each and every person is entitled to that anticipation and that feeling. Some of us are excited for our iPhone on the Verizon network. We have been waiting for years and it is finally here.

So, yes, it is the same phone, but, we are all entitled to the anticipation that goes along with it.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Because some people have Verizon, not AT&T. They may value their service provider more than their phone and didn't want to switch. Now they have the option of getting the iPhone without switching.

As an AT&T customer, I'm excited at well. Competition could add features, lower costs, or give perks.

Both AT&T and Verizon customers win. What's not to be excited about?

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

For most people it's one of two things.

#1. If they're legacy Verizon customers, like myself, we can finally get the iPhone.
    #2. For those who are migrating it's generally because Verizon has better service (voice most likely) in their area.

I know, for myself, the reason I never got an ATT iPhone is because they have a TON of deadspots in the Phoenix Metro area and I can't deal w/ that. The Verizon iPhone, in testing, has pretty commonly been reported to have improved voice quality/reception over the ATT iPhone. I have nothing against ATT, as they have area's that are solid just like Verizon has area's that are poor, but in my area Verizon is far better for voice reliability.

Either way, regardless if you have ATT or Verizon, it's just a whole new customer base for Apple, and a new toy for us.

6. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Why are you mad that people are excited?

7. iKoopa thread starter macrumors member

iKoopa

I didn't say I was mad. I was just wondering. And seeing how the a new iPhone is on it's way, they won't qualify for the upgrade. So they're more than half a year behind. Unless Verizon offers upgrades differently.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yeah but the people who buy it in the summer won't qualify for the 2012 LTE iPhone releases, either, unless the carries allow early upgrading. Those who upgrade now will be close enough that it's almost guaranteed Verizon will allow early upgrades for the 2012 LTE iPhones.

Since Apple releases yearly either side is limited to whether both carriers offer early upgrades anytime you do a 2yr contract.

Nothing new here.

9. iFitz macrumors regular

I've had every single iPhone on launch day, including the AT&T iPhone 4 on launch day, and I'm still excited over the Verizon iPhone 4. We apple geeks get excited about our apple products, even if it is the same phone I've had for 7 or 8 moths. I'm just excited to actually have an iPhone with decent signal. So let everyone be excited about their new phone, just like I'm sure you were when you got your iPhone.

10. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Mostly this. I'm going on the thinking that the "new" iphone this summer will just be an update. I don't see them making huge changes two years in a row. I'll have had my 4 for 1 1/2 years when the summer of 2012 rolls around. I believe that will be a monster upgrade, that i'll be eligible for.

Yes you are mad. If you weren't you wouldn't have created a whiny thread, trying to rain on everybody's parade.

11. Methalius macrumors newbie

Exactly my thoughts. As a 10+ year customer of VZW this is our first shot at an iPhone. After having suffered through with the Storm for the last 28 months all of this torture is finally going to pay off.

That is why I am excited.

12. sectime macrumors 6502a

Some people choose a network first then a phone :eek:

13. iFitz macrumors regular

Doesn't matter. As an iPhone user, you know how much they sell for used. I sold my AT&T iPhone 4 for $450 last week. I paid $199 for it new and just paid $199 for the Verizon iPhone. When the new one comes out, I'll sell this one for at least enough to cover the difference between full price and the upgrade price, if not more. Not qualifying for an upgrade has NEVER stopped me from buying a new phone. I'll have my iPhone 5 on launch day (whatever day that may be for Verizon).

14. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yes, At&t is lousy in my area and it was pointless to have a device that wouldn't receive or make calls. Finally my network is carrying the iphone and that is what the "hullabaloo" is all about.

Even though the iphone 4 was out for almost 8 months already, VZW customers have not experienced what you At&t customers have.

15. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

It has a new feature: mobile wifi hotspot capabilities. They also fixed the antenna.

16. nanna24 macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon since the launch of the first iPhone. So, yes, I'm excited to finally be able to get one on my network.

17. zenio macrumors 6502

Why assume?

18. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Because it's pretty obvious. Why else would you start a thread trying to shoot down the excitement of the vzw iphone? A lot of AT&T people are pissed that their club isn't so exclusive anymore/ mad that those of us on VZW may end up with a better product. Add the OP to the list.

19. Geffen macrumors 6502

I've seen several of these threads, i don't understand why people even take the time to make them when they know Verizon never had the iphone so of course Verizon customers will be excited about the iphone coming to Verizon as i'm one of them. To me i really don't care if its just a plain ole iphone 4 or last years model as others refer to it since they've had it on the AT&T network to me its new and i'm not going to wait on the what if's for an iphone 5 or 4G LTE version to come out.

20. formerpc macrumors 6502

I don't care about that. All I care about is that I'll have an iPhone! You know- one of the best smartphones on the market...

Besides, everything gets replaced sooner or later so why be concerned with that?

21. Vihzel macrumors 6502

If VZW customers upgrade now or soon... we'll be more ready for the LTE iPhone "6" than AT&T customers will be if they upgrade at iPhone 5. See this as an early investment. ;)

I purchased this phone anyways at full price so I can take full advantage when the 6th iPhone comes out. My upgrade is in 7/12, but I'm sure Verizon will push it up.

22. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I've owned every iPhone that has come out. I've listened to AT&T tell me that 3G service was coming to my area at any time. Times up. Verizon has 3G around here (and has for almost 4 years).

I'm excited to finally have an iPhone that I can fully utilize.