What's the cause for New OS's every year?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xSinghx, Oct 30, 2014.

1. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

I've reluctantly given into mavericks recently jumping up from snow leopard. I'm wondering if any of the programmers here could explain the necessity of the year to year overhauls of OSX as opposed to simple updates.

I had very little trepidation about updates from snow leopard back simply because apple seemed to be really refining their OS with each update and each version, making it leaner and more efficient and adding features that were genuine improvements to the overall experience.

Obviously the past couple of years have seen the rise of the iPad and the expansion of iOS but again how that effects OSX and why the jump from lion>mountain lion>mavericks>yosemite is a bit baffling and nerve racking.

Nerve racking because I worry about what might be dumped from one version to the next. Jumping up from snow leopard left me with more than one program that needed an updated (thankfully there were updates instead of having to buy new versions) in order for them to function properly as the coding they used in OSX had been removed.

Is there a specific end goal that I'm missing that apple is aiming for and presumably justifies all the bugs that inevitably arise from the first 3-6months of each new OS? Is it just planned obsolescence, bogging down old dual core machines with larger operating systems to make quad cores more attractive or something else? I don't expect there's one definitive answer for my question but I'm curious if others may know or see something I don't.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I would also greatly appreciate an updated OS X every two years.

3. tpluth macrumors member

1. Support new hardware and technology
    2. Provide new features
    3. Fix bugs and security vulnerabilities
    4. Upset the "Who moved my cheese" crowd.

The MS world does it with Service Packs and whole new program packaged as updates (Windows 7 shipped with IE7 but now updates to IE11, for example). Apple tests and releases it all as a new OS version.

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It's less of a programming issue and more of a marketing issue. They would be blasted by members of this site if they didn't give people shiny new things every year, even if it's not always necessary.

5. psik macrumors 6502

I think this is the real cause for this trend. But it will hopefully change as consumers should've learned a lesson, by Yosemite at least...

6. dannyg86 macrumors regular

dannyg86

Here is to hoping.....
    I would love Apple to get back to the days of leaner and meaner ( ala Snow Leopard )

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Question:
    What's the cause for New OS's every year?

Answer:
    Change for the sake of change.

Nothing follows...