Whats the chances that quietly Apple is reinforcing newer Plus Phones for durability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Sep 29, 2014.

1. hasanahmad Suspended

We all know the Phone bends....if we bend it with force.
    We know the number is insiginificant vs the phones delivered.

but the argument is still the phone beds if you bend it forcefully, so as a precaution who else thinks the next batch of Plus phones are getting reinforced by Apple in the manufacturing side to stop all relatively weaker points to increase the lbs pressure needed to bend from 90 to 130 or around that

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Doubt it. Reinforcing it would imply that when reinforced phones come out, older ones become subject to voluntary recall. That would be a lot of phones coming back, plus lost revenue for making double the number of units without any return.

BL.

3. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

I dont think a recall applies if the numbers are less than 8% which is usually the industry failure rate. 8 percent of 10 million would be 900,000 phones. I think if anything I meant reinforcing the phones in a way that even if you want to bend it, it wont bend as much as a 5S

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Zero chance they are changing 6+ design.

99%+ chance they are addressing this in the 6S+ that will be introduced Q22015 as they quickly discontinue the 6+.

It's the iPad 3 all over again.

5. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Zero chance. That would cost way more than just replacing the insignificant number of phones that bend.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Pointless to redesign. That's next years problem. They'll replace a few bent phones. Time to move on from this "issue". :cool:

7. r-m macrumors 6502a

8. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

9. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

I think zero chance. They're in full production mode now, cranking them out as the worldwide rollout continues and they try to both meet demand and get ready for the holiday quarter. This is the wrong time to introduce a change in the manufacturing process.

If this were a more widespread issue (and if Consumer Reports hadn't basically proven it's not serious) the precedent to follow would be the iPhone 4 and "antennagate". They could offer free protective cases to anyone who asks for one for a limited time, while the whole thing blows over. And before you know it, the next model is announced and of course they take that opportunity to do a design/manufacturing fix.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yeah...no.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No. How would you suggest the reinforce the 6 or plus. The interior is crammed full and there is not room for additional items to be inserted to reinforce.

Nothing wrong with your phone if you do not sit on it!

12. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

Re adjust the Aluminium and Steel fittings or add an additional one. I wouldnt be surprised if they do another ifixit in 2 months it will have a change

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Zero chance. If they do everyone who's already bought one will want an exchange to the "upgraded" version. Won't happen

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Redesigning the phone internals to address a non-issue?

Zero chance.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You need to get a grip on reality.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Exactly. The phone will always bend if you apply force on it. Just like the glass breaks when dropped.

17. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I think the OP has a solid point. It's definitely a possibility. Don't be mad if you're an early adopter and you don't want to consider that you got the short end of the stick. :p

18. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Applecare + for my 6. So...oops, I "dropped" my phone. Guess I need a new "reinforced" one for $79.00.
    Not that I would do that.
    But I could.
    If I wanted to.

19. TheBearman macrumors 6502

At the rate folks are bending these for a quick moment of fame on YouTube we could hit that number any day now. :D