Whats the chances that quietly Apple is reinforcing newer Plus Phones for durability?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
We all know the Phone bends....if we bend it with force.
We know the number is insiginificant vs the phones delivered.

but the argument is still the phone beds if you bend it forcefully, so as a precaution who else thinks the next batch of Plus phones are getting reinforced by Apple in the manufacturing side to stop all relatively weaker points to increase the lbs pressure needed to bend from 90 to 130 or around that

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
We all know the Phone beds....if we bend it with force.
We know the number is insiginificant vs the phones delivered.

but the argument is still the phone beds if you bend it forice, so as a precaution who else thinks the next batch of Plus phones are getting reinforced by Apple in the manufacturing side to stop all relatively weaker points to increase the lbs pressure needed to bend from 90 to 130 or around that
Doubt it. Reinforcing it would imply that when reinforced phones come out, older ones become subject to voluntary recall. That would be a lot of phones coming back, plus lost revenue for making double the number of units without any return.

BL.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Doubt it. Reinforcing it would imply that when reinforced phones come out, older ones become subject to voluntary recall. That would be a lot of phones coming back, plus lost revenue for making double the number of units without any return.

BL.
I dont think a recall applies if the numbers are less than 8% which is usually the industry failure rate. 8 percent of 10 million would be 900,000 phones. I think if anything I meant reinforcing the phones in a way that even if you want to bend it, it wont bend as much as a 5S

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Zero chance they are changing 6+ design.

99%+ chance they are addressing this in the 6S+ that will be introduced Q22015 as they quickly discontinue the 6+.

It's the iPad 3 all over again.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
Zero chance. That would cost way more than just replacing the insignificant number of phones that bend.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Pointless to redesign. That's next years problem. They'll replace a few bent phones. Time to move on from this "issue". :cool:

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I think zero chance. They're in full production mode now, cranking them out as the worldwide rollout continues and they try to both meet demand and get ready for the holiday quarter. This is the wrong time to introduce a change in the manufacturing process.

If this were a more widespread issue (and if Consumer Reports hadn't basically proven it's not serious) the precedent to follow would be the iPhone 4 and "antennagate". They could offer free protective cases to anyone who asks for one for a limited time, while the whole thing blows over. And before you know it, the next model is announced and of course they take that opportunity to do a design/manufacturing fix.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No. How would you suggest the reinforce the 6 or plus. The interior is crammed full and there is not room for additional items to be inserted to reinforce.

Nothing wrong with your phone if you do not sit on it!

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
No. How would you suggest the reinforce the 6 or plus. The interior is crammed full and there is not room for additional items to be inserted to reinforce.

Nothing wrong with your phone if you do not sit on it!
Re adjust the Aluminium and Steel fittings or add an additional one. I wouldnt be surprised if they do another ifixit in 2 months it will have a change

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Zero chance. If they do everyone who's already bought one will want an exchange to the "upgraded" version. Won't happen

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think the OP has a solid point. It's definitely a possibility. Don't be mad if you're an early adopter and you don't want to consider that you got the short end of the stick. :p

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I think the OP has a solid point. It's definitely a possibility. Don't be mad if you're an early adopter and you don't want to consider that you got the short end of the stick. :p
Applecare + for my 6. So...oops, I "dropped" my phone. Guess I need a new "reinforced" one for $79.00.
Not that I would do that.
But I could.
If I wanted to.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I dont think a recall applies if the numbers are less than 8% which is usually the industry failure rate. 8 percent of 10 million would be 900,000 phones.
At the rate folks are bending these for a quick moment of fame on YouTube we could hit that number any day now. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.